This Easy Vegan Apple Crisp Recipe is the most delicious thing you’ll eat this season! Filled with freshly sliced apples and topped with a simple crumb topping, you’ll definitely be making this dish over and over again! So if you love my Vegan Peach Crisp recipe, you’ll love this one too!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- Fresh apples – most recipes will tell you to use Granny Smith apples for the best results because they have a firm texture and hold up well when baking. Well, I’m not saying they’re wrong, but I’ve been making this recipe for years with all kinds of apples and I’ve never, ever had any issues or been disappointed with my results.
- all- purpose flour – the flour is an important component to the crumb topping, so don’t even think about leaving it out! However, if you’re gluten intolerant, you may find success swapping the all-purpose flour for a store-bought gluten free flour mix.
- organic brown sugar – this can also be substituted with organic cane sugar, but I love the taste that brown sugar adds with that hint of molasses.
- ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, sea salt – the seasonings in the crumble will help give your vegan apple crisp some flavor. Think warm, cozy fall vibes.
- vegan butter – you’ll want to be sure that you’re using slightly softened vegan butter. This will make it easiier to press the vegan butter into the dry ingredients. If it’s rock hard, this step will be a little tougher, but not impossible. Alternatively, you could add all of the ingredients to a food processor and let it do all the work 🙂
How to Make a Vegan Apple Crisp
Making this Vegan Apple Crisp recipe is super easy and I think you’ll be surprised at how simple it is! The first thing you’ll wanna do is gather all of your ingredients. Lucky for you, there aren’t many to round up!
Once everything is together, preheat your oven to 375° and begin peeling your apples. The fastest way to do this is by using a vegetable peeler, then you can use a knife to slice your apples around the core.
Alternatively, you could use an apple cutter as I did in the video tutorial which will help speed things up, then use a knife to cut them until the base of each slice is about ½ inch thick.
Now that all of your apples have been sliced, transfer them to the baking dish you intend to use and set them aside so you can mix together the ingredients for the crumble topping.
In a large bowl, add all of the dry ingredients for the crumb topping – the flour, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt. Stir these together until combined, then add the slightly softened vegan butter. Use the back of a fork to cut the vegan butter into the mixture until it’s no longer visible and you’re left with a crumbly texture allover.
Sprinkle the crumb topping overtop of the sliced apples, then transfer the dish to your preheated oven and let it bake for 35-40 minutes. Once the top of the dish is golden brown, remove the dish from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before digging in.
What can I top my Vegan Apple Crisp with?
A dairy-free vanilla ice cream will always be my favorite! The one I’m crushing over right now is from Oatly. Alternatively, you could top with coconut whip!
What apples are best to use for this recipe?
As I mentioned earlier, I’ve used pretty much any apple I’ve had on hand and have never been disappointed with the results, but the best apples to use are generally Granny Smith. Honey Crisp apples work well too!
Can this recipe be made gluten-free?
Yes, you could substitute the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free all-purpose flour. Another alternative would be blending rolled oats into flour and using that.
How do you store this recipe?
This dish is best served fresh, but if you have leftovers they can be stored in an airtight container in the refridgerator for up to 5 days.
Can this dish be reheated?
Yes, you can reheat this dish in the microwave for 20-30 seconds or reheat the entire dish in the oven on 350° for about 10 minutes until it’s warmed through. Just note that the crumble mixture will have likely softened.
Can you freeze this vegan apple crisp recipe?
Yes, this dish can be frozen. Store it in an air tight container and freeze for up to three months. Just note that it may not be as crispy as it was when it was fresh, as the crumble mixture will soften.
To thaw, place it in the fridge overnight and then reheat as instructed above.
Tips for Making the Best Vegan Apple Crisp
- Don’t slice your apples too thin – I’ve done this before and the apples were mushy with very little texture. Don’t make that mistake! Your best bet is to ensure that the base of your apple slice is about ⅓ – ½ inch thick. You could also try cutting them into cubes instead for more consistency.
- Serve fresh for the best experience – this dish is the best when it’s fresh out the oven and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
More Apple Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Vegan Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- Vegan Apple Butter Hand Pies
- Easy Apple Burboun Cocktail
- Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies
- Easy Vegan Crumble Apple Pie
- Vegan Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Vegan Apple Cinnamon Bread
Easy Vegan Apple Crisp
- 5 large fresh apple skin removed, cored, and sliced about ½ inch thick
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Add sliced apples to an appropriately sized baking dish.5 large fresh apple
- Option 1: Add all of the crumb topping ingredients to a high-speed blender or food processor and pulse until crumbly.1¼ cups All- Purpose Flour, ¾ cup organic brown sugar, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 pinch ground cloves, 1 pinch ground nutmeg, 2 pinches sea salt, ½ cup vegan butter
- Option 2: In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients for the crumb topping.1¼ cups All- Purpose Flour, ¾ cup organic brown sugar, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 pinch ground cloves, 1 pinch ground nutmeg, 2 pinches sea salt
- Add in the softened vegan butter and work into the dry ingredients by pressing the mixture together with the back of a fork until it appears crumbly.½ cup vegan butter
- Cover the apples in the baking dish with crumb topping and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Once the dish is finished baking, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool briefly. Enjoy!