Y’all, I have been trying to make my own version of easy vegan cornbread for over a year. I’m so glad to finally be sharing this Easy Vegan Cornbread recipe with you! It’s easy to make, moist, soft and slightly sweet.
Oh, and of course DELICIOUS! You don’t even need an egg substitute for this recipe!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Easy Vegan Cornbread:
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Organic yellow cornmeal
- All purpose white flour
- Organic cane sugar
- Baking powder
- Vegan butter
How to Make This Easy Vegan Cornbread:
Putting this easy vegan cornbread together is super easy! You don’t even need a mixer! It’s simply a matter of combining the ingredients and then baking it for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
You’ll want to start by preheating your oven and gathering all of your ingredients.
There’s nothing worse than starting a recipe only to realize that half way through you don’t have all of the ingredients you need!
Once all of your ingredients are gathered, measure out your unsweetened almond milk (or any plant milk for that matter) along with your apple cider vinegar.
Combining these two ingredients together will create a vegan buttermilk. Set this aside so that it has a few moments to set.
While the vegan buttermilk is setting, begin adding all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl– your yellow cornmeal, white flour, cane sugar and baking powder.
Mix these together, then add in your melted vegan butter and vegan buttermilk mixture. Use a whisk to continue mixing all of the ingredients together until they’re well combined.
Once this is complete, your mixture is ready! If it’s loose, don’t worry. It’s supposed to be! Grab an 8 x 8 baking dish and spray it with oil to avoid the cornbread sticking to the dish.
Alternatively, you could line the dish with parchment paper.
Pour the mixture into the baking dish and transfer it to the oven and allow it to bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until golden brown.
If you don’t have an 8 x 8 baking dish and you decide to go with something larger, it’s important to note that you will need to adjust the baking time by reducing it.
If the dish is smaller, you’ll likely need to increase the cooking time, You’ll know it’s done when you insert a toothpick into the center and if it comes out clean, it’s ready!
Common Questions for Making Easy Vegan Cornbread:
- Can I bake this in something else other than an 8 x 8 baking dish? Absolutely! If you don’t have an 8 x 8 baking dish and you decide to go with something larger, it’s important to note that you will need to adjust the baking time by reducing it. If the dish is smaller, you’ll likely need to increase the cooking time, You’ll know it’s done when you insert a toothpick into the center and if it comes out clean, it’s ready!
- I don’t have/use almond milk. Can I use an alternative? Yes! Any plant milk should work. If I’m out of almond milk, I’ve also used oatmilk.
- Can I make cornbread muffins with this recipe? Absolutely! If you’d like to make muffins instead of baking in a dish, simply line a muffin pan with liners or spray with oil and evenly distribute. Transfer to the oven and bake on 350 for 20 – 25 minutes. Enjoy a little spice? Try this jalapeño cornbread muffins recipe!
I know you’ll love this Easy Vegan Cornbread recipe! It’s easy to make and the perfect addition to any spread you’ll make for Sunday Dinner or holidays.
Give this recipe a try and let me know how it goes in the comments below!
What to Pair with this Vegan Cornbread:
Make it a meal by pairing this recipe with a few of the items below!
- Crispy Baked Breaded Tofu
- Black-Eyed Pea Fritters
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Collard Greens
- Easy Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Spicy Chicken Fried Tofu
- Easy Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Tools You Might Need:
This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Vegan Cornbread [+VIDEO]
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a measuring cup, combine the apple cider vinegar and almond milk. Set aside.2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, add in the dry ingredients and whisk together.2 cups organic yellow cornmeal, 1 cup all purpose white flour, ½ cup organic cane sugar, ½ tbsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt
- Next add the melted vegan butter along with the apple cider vinegar and almond milk mixture. Whisk together to combine.2 cups unsweetened almond milk, ⅓ cup vegan butter, 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish with a neutral oil or line the baking dish with parchment paper for easy removal. Transfer mixture to baking dish and bake for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown. Insert a toothpick to ensure it's done (if it comes out dry it's done, if not bake for a few minutes more).
- Let cool for a few minutes and top with additional vegan butter. Enjoy!