Y’all, I have been trying to make my own version of easy vegan cornbread for over a year. Last year I tried preparing some for Thanksgiving. The sweet smell of cornbread filled the kitchen. It was a beautiful golden brown color and everything. I sliced it open and it was dense. REALLY dense. Too damn dense!
Part of the problem may have been that I was trying to veganize an old cornbread recipe. Sometimes swapping the animal products for vegan ones works, sometimes it doesn’t. This can be particularly tricky when we’re talking about baking. It’s truly a science!
I figured enough time had passed for me to start again fresh. This time I killed it on the first try. Although it takes about an hour for it to finish baking all the way through, it’s totally worth it.
When I made this easy vegan cornbread recipe, I didn’t intend on eating it immediately. I mean, clearly I needed to taste it, but my plan was to freeze it for another time to pair with some homemade chili. This kinda worked.
The Story Behind this Dish…
I ate one piece and wasn’t sure if I was completely satisfied with how it came out, so I ate another. Then I had to call in for backup- my husband. First I gave it to him plain, no (vegan) butter. Then I added butter to mine, and needed him to confirm that it was still good with the addition of the butter. He said it was. Then I had to have one more bite just to make sure. By the time it was all said and done, we’d eaten about 4-5 pieces.
After realizing this, I quickly grabbed the tupperware and put the remaining pieces in there so I could freeze them. I knew this was going to be a problem if I left them out. Before I could get them to the freezer my husband insisted I leave him a few more pieces to eat throughout the week.
Y’all, I’m sooooo excited to make chili in a few weeks so I can devour the rest of this easy vegan cornbread! It was so good! Just sweet enough! Topping it off with vegan butter (we use Earth Balance) is an absolute MUST!
Making this Easy Vegan Cornbread:
Putting this easy vegan cornbread together is such a cinch! You don’t even need a mixer! It’s simply a matter of combining the ingredients and then baking it for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
The cornbread is tasty as is, but serving with a dollop of butter spread overtop really sets it off! This cornbread is soft, perfectly sweetened, and versatile. I’m so excited to pair this with chili when the weather gets a bit cooler! Or my simply drizzling agave over it. I can taste it now!
What’s your favorite way to enjoy cornbread? Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
What to Pair with this Vegan Cornbread:
Make it a meal by pairing this recipe with a few of the items below!
- Crispy Baked Breaded Tofu
- Black-Eyed Pea Fritters
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Collard Greens
- Easy Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Spicy Chicken Fried Tofu
- Easy Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Tools You Might Need:
This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Vegan Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a measuring cup, combine the apple cider vinegar and almond milk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add in the dry ingredients and whisk together. Next add the melted vegan butter along with the apple cider vinegar and almond milk mixture. Whisk together to combine.
- Grease an 8-inch baking dish with a neutral oil or line the baking dish with parchment paper for easy removal. Transfer mixture to an 8×8 baking dish and bake for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown. Insert a toothpick to ensure it's done (if it comes out dry it's done, if not bake for a few minutes more).
- Let cool for a few minutes and top with additional vegan butter. Enjoy!