I’ve never been a huge chocolate fan, but one thing I’ve always loved are chocolate chip cookies! They’re such a classic treat and I’m so excited to finally share with you my own version. These Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies are amazing! I let me dad test them out for me and he mentioned that they reminded him of Mrs. Field’s cookies, but BETTER! They’re thick, chewy and soft. What more could you ask for in a cookie?!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Cookies from Scratch:
Making chocolate chip cookies from scratch is a lot easier than you might think. To make these Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies, you’ll just need a few common ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Instead of using regular sugar, you’ll want to use brown sugar. Using brown sugar is how you’ll achieve perfectly chewy cookies.
To begin, you’ll start by preheating the oven so that it can be heating as you’re putting the dough together. The first step is to cream the vegan butter and brown sugar together until it appears whipped. Once you notice the whipped texture, you’ll add in the unsweetened applesauce, baking soda, sea salt, vanilla extract and flour.
You may notice that the dough will start to appear crumbly. This is totally fine! This is how you’ll know it’s time to add in the unsweetened almond milk to help combine the dough and bring it together. Finally, you’ll add in the chocolate chips. You can do this by hand with a spoon, or you can toss them into the mixer and let the machine do all the work. I opted for the latter!
Baking the Cookies:
Now it’s time to prepare your Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies for the oven. Grab a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper or foil. This will help to keep the cookies from being stuck to the baking sheet. I wanted large, thick cookies, so I used my 1½ tbsp cookie scoop and formed each cookie with two scoops of dough, placing them one on top of the other and gently pressing them down. Using this process will yield 6 large cookies. There will be a little left over cookie dough at the end. You can make one small cookie, or simply eat it! Again, I chose the latter!
Once the cookies have been placed on the baking sheet, they’re ready for the oven! Here’s where you get to customize your cookies a bit. Call me weird, but I enjoy my cookies just slightly underdone, so I like to cook mine for about 11 minutes. Cook them for 13-15 minutes for a cooked-through version. Still soft, chewy and delicious!
After they’re done cooking, remove them from the oven and bang them against the counter once or twice. This will encourage them to fall as they are likely a little puffy coming straight out of the oven. In addition, it adds to their overall look. I love a cookie with a wrinkle! Lastly, sprinkle with a few sea salt flakes and prepare to enjoy!
Are Chocolate Chip Cookies Vegan?
Most chocolate chip cookies are in fact not vegan. Traditional recipes use cow’s milk, milk chocolate chips, and eggs. What I love most about this recipe is that it’s completely simplified and accessible. No fancy ingredients and anyone can enjoy them. These Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies are completely dairy free and can be made allergy friendly by swapping out the unsweetened almond milk for another plant milk alternative.
I know you’ll love these Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies! I never knew how much I needed the little extra sprinkle of salt on top until I made these! It really helps to bring out the sweetness and adds to the overall flavor.
Tools You Might Need:
Other Cookies You Might Enjoy:
- Vegan Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Vegan Brown Sugar Cookies
- Soft Chewy Ginger Cookies
- Soft Chewy Snickerdoodle Cookies
View this post on Instagram
Y’all, I have been DYING to share this recipe! So glad the day has finally come!🙌🏾 . These are my new favorite vegan chocolate chip cookies. The recipe is only for 6 large cookies, but if you need more the recipe can EASILY be doubled! 😉 . I hope y’all love these as much as I do! Get the FULL RECIPE ON THE BLOG! Link in bio! . www.icanyoucanvegan.com/easy-vegan-salted-chocolate-chip-cookies/
This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 4 tbsp vegan butter softened, NOT melted (I used Earth Balance)
- ½ cup organic brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp unsweetened applesauce
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour spooned and leveled
- 1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- sea salt flakes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened vegan butter and brown sugar on a high speed until it appears whipped (about 1½ minutes). I used a standing mixer, but you can also use a hand mixer as well.
- Add in the unsweetened applesauce, baking soda, pinch of sea salt, vanilla extract and flour. Mix to combine.
- Batter will be crumbly. To form dough, add in unsweetened almond milk and continue to mix.
- Next, add in the vegan chocolate chips and mix into the dough.
- Use a 1½ tbsp cookie scoop to evenly disperse cookies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil for easy removal. To make large cookies (as pictured), combine two scoops placing one scoop on top of the other while gently pressing down. For smaller cookies, use one scoop.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Note: if making smaller cookies, you will need to reduce cooking time to about 6-8 minutes.
- Once done, remove from oven and sprinkle with desired amount of sea salt flakes. Let cool for 5-6 minutes.