This Easy Vegan Cinnamon Apple Bread is just the treat you need! Made with a few basic ingredients you likely already have and soft baked apple chunks in every bite. This apple bread recipe is topped with a simple cinnamon icing that will be sure to have you running back for seconds!
Though this recipe is technically a bread, I like to think of it as a mix between a bread and a cake. The cinnamon glaze that goes overtop gives it that cake feel. However, the loaf itself reminds me of a cinnamon and raisin bread I used to beg my mom for at the grocery store growing up. The cinnamon glaze is definitely recommended, but optional. The Cinnamon Apple Bread is delicious on its own!
Ingredients You’ll Need:
- flax eggs – when water and ground flax seeds are combined, it creates the perfect egg substitute!
- all-purpose flour – looking for a gluten-free option? You could try substituting the all-purpose flour with a 1:1 gluten-free flour alternative.
- organic brown sugar – I love using brown sugar in this recipe because of the flavor it adds being made with molasses, however you could also substitute with regular organic cane sugar.
- ground cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, salt – these spices are going to help elevate your Cinnamon Apple Cake by adding the warm fall notes you’ll love.
- baking powder
- baking soda
- fresh bananas
- vegan butter – the vegan butter adds to the overall texture of the loaf. You could try substituting with vegetable oil as an alternative.
- vanilla extract
- unsweetened almond milk – not into almond milk? you could also substitute with another plant-based milk like soy or oat.
- large fresh apple – I’ve used all kinds of apples for this recipe – granny smith, jazz apples, honey crisp, and pink lady. The crispier, the better, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- organic powdered sugar
How to Make Vegan Cinnamon Apple Bread
Making this Vegan Cinnamon Apple Bread was so easy! The first thing you’ll want to do is gather all of your ingredients. There’s nothing worst than starting a recipe only to realize that you’re missing a thing or two.
Once everything has been gathered, you might find it helpful to begin prepping everything. This includes peeling and dicing your apple, creating the flax egg, and measuring out your dry and wet ingredients.
To create the flax egg, you’ll simply combine the necessary amount of ground flax seed meal and combine it with water in a small container. Transfer the flax egg to the fridge while working with the other ingredients to allow the mixture to set. Once it’s ready, the flax egg’s consistency will thicken to resemble that of an egg yolk and will work as a binder for your Cinnamon Apple Bread.
In a large bowl add all of your dry ingredients – flour, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir all of the ingredients together until well combined.
Next, add in the wet ingredients – mashed bananas, vanilla extract, almond milk, flax egg, and melted vegan butter to the same bowl. Mix everything together to combine thoroughly, then stir in the diced apples.
Grab a rectangular baking dish and line it with parchment paper for easy retrieval. If you don’t have any parchment paper, you can line the pan with a generous amount of cooking spray or additional melted vegan butter. Transfer the Cinnamon Apple Bread mixture to the baking dish and transfer it to your preheated oven to bake for one hour and 10 minutes.
Once the Cinnamon Apple Bread is finished cooking, it should promptly bounce back up after being gently pressed down. Alternatively, you can check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf. If it comes out clean, it’s ready. If there is wet batter on the toothpick, it’s not done yet and should continue baking in 10 minute increments, checking on it until cooked through.
Allow the Cinnamon Apple Bread to cool in the pan until room temperature. Do not remove the loaf prematurely, or it could fall apart. While the loaf is cooling, whisk together the ingredients for the cinnamon icing and set aside. Once the loaf has cooled, transfer it to a serving dish and drizzle the cinnamon icing over top of the Cinnamon Apple Bread loaf. Slice and enjoy!
Tips for Making Vegan Cinnamon Apple Bread:
- Spoon and level the flour – to properly measure your flour, be sure to spoon the flour into the measuring cup, then use the stem of the spoon to level out the flour in the measuring cup.
- Don’t remove the loaf from the pan prematurely – allow the loaf to cool in the pan before removing. Doing so may cause the cake to spread as it cools and lose its shape.
- Bake for a little less than the recommended time to account for differences in ovens. It’s no secret that some ovens run hotter than others. To account for any differences, I would recommend checking on the loaf after 45 minutes to note its progress.
- Use a toothpick in order to check if the vegan cinnamon apple bread is ready. If it comes out clean it’s ready to be taken out of the oven, if it comes out with wet batter still on it, allow it to continue baking in increments of five minutes until it’s done.
- Use parchment paper to line your loaf pan. Using parchment paper will make retrieving your Vegan Cinnamon Apple Bread so much easier!
Cinnamon Apple Bread FAQ:
How do I store this recipe?
This recipe can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can this recipe be frozen?
You can freeze this recipe in an airtight container for up to three months once cooled completely. When you’re ready to enjoy, transfer it to the fridge the night before to thaw and enjoy the next day with a cup of coffee or hot tea for breakfast or even as a snack!
Can I add variety to this recipe?
Sure! You can try adding your favorite chopped nuts to the batter before baking, or even vegan white chocolate. You could even ditch the apples altogether and substitute with pears!
More Recipes You’ll Love:
I know you’ll love this Vegan Cinnamon Apple Bread! It’s perfect to enjoy year-round, made using just one bowl, and super easy to make! It’s especially great for breakfast! Hungry yet? Get in the kitchen and start whipping this up! Share your thoughts in the comments below!
This recipe and photos were updated November 24, 2023.
Easy Vegan Cinnamon Apple Bread [+VIDEO]
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 5 tbsp of water mixed)
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cups organic brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- ⅓ cup vegan butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large apple diced into ½ inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a small bowl, create a flax egg by mixing together water and flaxseed meal. Set aside.2 flax eggs
- In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix together.2½ cups all-purpose flour, ¾ cups organic brown sugar, 2 tsp ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp allspice, ¾ tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, ½ tsp nutmeg
- Add in the mashed bananas, vanilla extract, almond milk, flax egg, and melted vegan butter to the same bowl. Mix to combine thoroughly.2 ripe bananas, ⅓ cup vegan butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract, ¾ cups unsweetened almond milk, 2 flax eggs
- Stir in diced apples.1 large apple
- Add the batter to a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Insert a toothpick to test for doneness.
- While the bread is baking, whisk together the ingredients for the cinnamon icing. Set aside.1 cup organic powdered sugar, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, ½ tsp vanilla extract, 4 tsp unsweetened almond milk
- Once the bread is done remove from oven and let cool before removing from baking dish.
- Once cool, use a butter knife to loosen the top and bottom sides of the loaf. Use the parchment paper to pull the loaf out of the pan.
- Slice and enjoy!