In case it’s not obvious by now, I’m obsessed with ALL THINGS LEMON! I’ve had a lot of them on hand recently and since being quarantined I’ve got plenty of time for baking. Probably too much time. These Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies are soft, chewy and of course… lemony!
How to Make Lemon Sugar Cookies
Making Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies is super easy. If you take a look at the recipe ingredients below, you’ll notice that they’re all pretty basic. I love a recipe with basic, easy to get ingredients!
You’ll want to start by creaming together the sugar and vegan butter until it’s fluffy. Add in all other remaining ingredients, aside from the two tablespoons of sugar to roll the cookies in. Combine all of the ingredients in the mixing bowl until the dough is formed.
Once the dough is formed you’ll use a cookie scoop to retrieve the cookie dough (I used a 1½ tbsp scoop). Then transfer each of the cookies to a small bowl containing the two tablespoons of extra sugar to roll the balls around in. Once all of the balls have been rolled, transfer them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for easy retrieval in order to avoid sticking. Transfer those babies to the oven and let ’em cook for about 10 minutes.
Ten minutes later your vegan lemon sugar cookies are done! Once you’ve allowed them to cool for a few minutes, they’re ready to enjoy. Feeling extra fancy? Add a little lemon zest to the top for garnish.
Can You Freeze Lemon Sugar Cookies?
If you’re wondering if you can freeze these vegan lemon sugar cookies, the answer is absolutely YES! Cookies never last too long in my house, but I had been baking lots of sweets when I made these, so I decided to freeze about half the batch.
A few weeks later my husband and I started talking about how good they were, so I decided to take some out one night before bed so they could thaw while we slept to enjoy the next day. BEST DECISION EVER!
The next day I reached for a cookie and to my surprise they tasted as if they were fresh out of the oven! I was so amazed that they were still just as soft and chewy as they were the first day I baked them. So if you’re thinking about freezing these vegan lemon sugar cookies, DO IT! It’s nice to have something to look forward to 🙂
I know you’ll love these easy vegan lemon sugar cookies. They’re simple to make, soft, chewy and delicious. Not to mention, #PickyAssHusbandApproved! These are perfect for sharing with friends or family. Give them a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Other Lemon Desserts You’ll Love:
- Easy Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
- Cranberry Lemon Energy Bites
Tools You Might Need:
Other Vegan Cookies You’ll Love:
- Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
- Soft + Chewy Ginger Cookies
View this post on Instagram
I could definitely use a batch of these right now! Drop a 🍋 if you agree! . Y’all know I love all things lemon, so you know I’m obsessed with these Lemon Sugar Cookies! . 8 ingredients. Made in one bowl. Give them a try and let me know what you think! . www.icanyoucanvegan.com
This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 4 tbsp softened vegan butter
- ½ cup organic cane sugar + 2 tbsp to roll cookies in
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Use a mixer to cream together the sugar and vegan butter until fluffy.
- Add in remaining ingredients except the 2 tbsp sugar. Mix on medium speed to combine until dough is formed.
- Use a cookie scoop to retrieve the dough and roll into a ball with your hands, then toss in a small bowl with the 2 tbsp of sugar.
- Transfer the ball to a baking pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all dough has been rolled and coated in the sugar.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.