I’m super excited to share these Fluffy Easy Vegan Pancakes with you! One of the things I used to love most pre-vegan life was ordering up a delicious stack of pancakes from a nearby restaurant. Well, since being quarantined that’s not happening anytime soon so thankfully I’ve been able to whip some up of my own that will make you think you’re at a restaurant for sure! These pancakes are light, fluffy and super easy to customize by topping them with your favorite fruits or nuts.
How to Make Vegan Pancakes Fluffy
I get asked this question all the time! Making fluffy vegan pancakes is a lot easier than you might think. All it takes is the right combination of ingredients and you’re well on your way. The key to getting fluffy pancakes is to let the batter rest. I know, I know… once the batter is mixed, you’ll be tempted to start cooking them on the stove. Don’t do it! It’s important to let the batter rest for about 6 minutes so that the batter can form properly. Once the batter has rested, you’ll notice that it becomes very light any airy. This is how you know that fluffy vegan pancakes are on the way!
Vegan Pancakes vs Regular Pancakes
Wondering if these vegan pancakes can hold a candle to regular pancakes? The answer is YES! Make these vegan pancakes and I swear you won’t even be able to tell the difference between regular pancakes and this recipe. I’m not gonna lie, these are probably the best pancakes period. They have the perfect consistency, they’re easy to make, fluffy and delicious. What more could you ask for?
How to Make Vegan Pancakes
Making these vegan pancakes is really easy. All you’ll need is just a few ingredients, a mixing bowl, and an appetite! You’ll want to begin by combining the apple cider vinegar and almond milk to make a vegan buttermilk. This will help to create your light and fluffy pancakes. Once combined, you’ll notice that the buttermilk mixture will start to separate at the bottom. This is completely normal!
While the buttermilk is forming, you can toss all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. By the time this is done, the buttermilk mixture will be ready to add to the dry ingredients along with the melted vegan butter. Whisk everything together, then let the mixture rest for at least 6-7 minutes. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP! The batter won’t be the same! Trust me, I tried it and while the pancakes are still good, they don’t have the same crispy texture along the edges. You can make these vegan pancakes from scratch in no time!
When cooking them, you’ll want to be sure to practice patience when it comes time to flip them. Flipping them too early might cause them to fall apart. Flipping them too late will result in overcooked pancakes. Nobody wants that! Be sure to line the pan with a dollop of vegan butter before every pancake. Once you’ve added the batter to the pan, you’ll notice the bottom of the pancake will start to bubble. Once you start to notice the top of the pancake starting to bubble a great deal now it’s time to flip! Reference the photos below:
The Bottom Line:
If you’ve been looking for a fluffy easy vegan pancake recipe, this is it! These pancakes are fluffy, tender, and have the best crispy edges! Give these pancakes a try and let me know what you think of them in the comments below!
Tools You Might Need:
This post contains affiliate links.
Fluffy Easy Vegan Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder NOT baking soda
- 2 tbsp organic cane sugar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- fresh fruit topping of choice (optional)
- maple syrup for serving (optional)
- Measure out 1 cup of almond milk and add 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
- Add the melted butter and almond milk mixture to the bowl and whisk to combine. Batter should be mostly smooth.
- Let the batter rest for 6-7 minutes- this is important! Don't skip this step!
- After about 3 minutes, heat a non-stick pan on the stove over medium heat.
- Once the batter has rested, it should appear airy and fluffy when stirred.
- Now that the batter is ready, prepare to make the pancakes. Add a dollop of vegan butter to the pan to line the bottom.
- Use a 1/3 measuring cup to scoop out the mix and transfer it to the pan.
- Once the pancake begins to bubble (refer to photos above), flip the pancake over and allow cooking until lightly browned (1-2 minutes).
- Repeat until all batter has been cooked, applying a dollop of vegan butter at the start of cooking each pancake to ensure crispy edges.
- Top with fresh fruit (optional) and your favorite maple syrup. Enjoy!