If you have never tried making your own homemade vegan cupcakes you are certainly in for a treat with this post! These easy Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Filling will be sure to have you sneaking back into the kitchen for more!
This recipe features a simple vanilla cupcake, topped with a homemade strawberry flavored buttercream frosting made with sliced freeze dried strawberries and filled with organic strawberry preserves. The most delicious treat for any special occasion including Valentine’s Day!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes:
- all- purpose flour
- Simple Truth Organic Cane Sugar
- Harris Teeter Baking Powder
- baking soda
- vegan butter
- Harris Teeter Unsweetened Almond Milk
- apple cider vinegar
- Harris Teeter Private Selection Pure Vanilla Extract
- Harris Teeter Unsweetened Applesauce
- fresh strawberries (optional)
- sliced freeze dried strawberries
- organic powdered sugar
- Simple Truth Organic Strawberry Preserves
How to Make Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes:
Making these Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes is a lot easier than what you might think. The first thing you want to do is gather all of your ingredients. There’s nothing worse than starting a recipe and getting halfway through it only to realize that you are missing ingredients.
As with any recipe, quality matters! I got all of the ingredients I needed for these Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes from my local Harris Teeter. They always have the best produce and the quality ingredients I’m looking for.
Once all of your ingredients have been accounted for, go ahead and preheat your oven to 400 degrees, then combine the Harris Teeter Unsweetened Almond Milk with the apple cider vinegar to create a vegan buttermilk, then set it aside.
Starting with the dry ingredients, add all of them to a large mixing bowl. This includes your flour, Simple Truth Organic Cane Sugar, Harris Teeter Baking Powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a whisk to mix them together until well combined.
Next, add your wet ingredients to the same bowl- melted vegan butter, vegan buttermilk (Harris Teeter Unsweetened Almond Milk and apple cider vinegar mixture), Harris Teeter Private Selection Pure Vanilla Extract and Harris Teeter Unsweetened Applesauce. Whisk all of these ingredients together until the batter is mostly smooth.
Line your cupcake pan with liners and disperse the battery evenly into each space. For this step you could use a 1/4 cup measuring cup or even a large cookie scoop. Using either of these tools helps to make dispersing the batter evenly a lot easier.
If by chance you don’t have any cupcake liners for your Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes, you can also spray the pan generously with a neutral cooking oil or brush the inside of the pan with additional melted vegan butter before adding in the batter. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 18 minutes.
Making the Vegan Strawberry Frosting
While the cupcakes are baking in the oven, now would be a great time to prepare your vegan strawberry buttercream frosting. To do this you’ll want to start by preparing the freeze dried strawberries. You can add the freeze dried strawberries to a food processor or blender and pulse the strawberries until you’ve reached a fine powder consistency.
Add all of the frosting ingredients to a large bowl– softened vegan butter, sifted organic powdered sugar, vanilla extract, unsweetened almond milk, and the strawberry powder you’ve just created.
Use your hand mixer or a standing mixer to mix the ingredients together thoroughly until you have created your vegan strawberry frosting. Set aside until needed.
Once your cupcakes have finished baking, allow them to cool completely before proceeding. If you’re in a rush you can transfer them to the freezer or refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes to help speed up the cooling process after allowing them to cool for about 15 minutes on the counter outside of the cupcake pan.
While the cupcakes are cooling, you can begin preparing the filling for the Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes. Using Simple Truth Organic Strawberry Preserves made this step so easy being that I didn’t have to prepare anything additional!
It’s important to stir the preserves to break up any clumps that may be present in the mixture. Once it’s been stirred, transfer about 1/4 cup to a piping bag or a squeeze bottle so that you can use it to fill the center of the cupcakes. Set aside.
How to Core the Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes:
When the cupcakes have cooled, it’s time to core each of them to make room for the strawberry filling. You can do this a few ways:
- Use a butter knife to gently cut a hole into the center of each cupcake with the goal of making the hole about 1 inch wide.
- Use a star piping tip by placing it directly into the center of the cupcake, twisting downward, then pulling up to remove the center.
- Use an apple corer to insert into the center of the cupcake and pull upward, removing the center.
At this point you are ready to fill the cupcakes. Grab your piping bag filled with strawberry preserves and use it to fill the center of each cupcake, careful not to overflow too much. Feel free to wipe away any excess filling.
After each of the Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes have been filled you can frost your cupcakes however you’d like– using a piping bag and tip or by simply applying the frosting over top of each cupcake with a butter knife. The choice is yours!
Just to pretty things up a little bit, I always enjoy adding sliced fresh strawberries to the top of my Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes. This part is totally optional, but it’s always nice to have!
How to Store Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes
Storing these vegan strawberry cupcakes is simple! Place them in an airtight container and keep them in the fridge or on the counter until you’re ready to enjoy them.
They will last 3-4 days on the counter and up to 1 week in the fridge. If storing in the fridge, I would recommend removing them an hour or two before serving and placing them on the counter so they are room temperature.
I know you’ll love these easy Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes! They are delicious and the strawberry filling adds a welcomed surprise to this delectable treat! Give this recipe a try and let me know how it goes in the comments below!
More Cupcake Recipes You’ll Love:
This post was sponsored by the amazing people over at Harris Teeter! Thank you for supporting the brands that support me!
Tools to Make Your Life Easier:
Easy Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes (with Strawberry Filling!) [+VIDEO]
- ⅔ cups Harris Teeter Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1¾ cups all- purpose flour
- ¾ cups Simple Truth Organic Cane Sugar
- ½ tsp Harris Teeter Baking Powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegan butter melted
- 1 tsp Harris Teeter Private Selection Pure Vanilla Extract
- ⅓ cup Harris Teeter Unsweetened Applesauce
- fresh strawberries for garnish optional
- ¼ cup Simple Truth Organic Strawberry Preserves (stirred to loosen any clumps)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar to create vegan buttermilk. Set aside.⅔ cups Harris Teeter Unsweetened Almond Milk, 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk them together.1¾ cups all- purpose flour, ¾ cups Simple Truth Organic Cane Sugar, ½ tsp Harris Teeter Baking Powder, ½ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp salt
- Add the melted vegan butter, vegan buttermilk mixture, Private Selection Pure Vanilla Extract and Harris Teeter Unsweetened Applesauce to the same bowl. Whisk to combine until batter is mostly smooth.½ cup vegan butter, 1 tsp Harris Teeter Private Selection Pure Vanilla Extract, ⅓ cup Harris Teeter Unsweetened Applesauce
- Disperse the batter evenly among a standard sized muffin pan lined with baking cups (if not using baking cups, spray the pan generously with neutral cooking oil or vegan butter).
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 18 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking, use a food processor to grind the sliced freeze dried strawberries until you've reached a fine powdered consistency.1 cup sliced freeze dried strawberries
- Place all of the frosting ingredients in a large bowl and use a hand mixer or standing mixer to combine. Set aside.½ cup vegan butter, 2 cups organic powdered sugar, ½ tsp Harris Teeter Private Selection Pure Vanilla Extract, 1 tbsp Harris Teeter Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Once the cupcakes are finished baking, set them aside and allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, core the cupcakes using a star tip or butter knife to remove a portion of the center. Take out the excess cake and use a squeeze bottle or piping bag to replace with strawberry preserves (do not overflow).¼ cup Simple Truth Organic Strawberry Preserves
- Apply the frosting overtop of each cupcake and garnish with fresh strawberry slices (optional) enjoy!fresh strawberries for garnish