If there’s one thing that I’ve learned in quarantine, it’s how to bake some muffins. Soft, fluffy, moist ones at that. These Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins have become my new favorite. But that’s probably only until I discover a new combination lol. Actually, that might not happen because I am seriously obsessed with all things lemon.
How to Bake Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Making these Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins is super easy! You’ll start by rounding up all of your ingredients just to make sure you have everything you need. Next, you’ll begin doing your prep. This means zesting your lemon. You can use a zester, or a cheese grater (like me). Either one will get the job done! Once your lemon is zested you’re ready to begin with the remaining ingredients.
To start, measure out your unsweetened almond milk in a liquid measuring cup, then add in the apple cider vinegar. This is your vegan buttermilk. Go ahead and sit it to the side for now until it’s time to add in the liquids. You’ll notice that it will begin to curdle at the bottom, which is exactly what you want.
In a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients and whisk them together. Once the dry ingredients are combined, it’s time to add in the liquid ingredients. Whisk everything together to combine the wet with the dry. The batter may still be a little lumpy, which is fine. As long as most of the lumps are out you’re good! Finally, it’s time to add in the lemon zest and poppy seeds. Whisk those in, then prepare to transfer them to a muffin pan lined with cupcake liners. I always find it helpful to use a measuring cup to transfer the mix from the bowl to each of the compartments in the muffin tin.
Once all the batter has been distributed, transfer them to your preheated oven and allow these Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins to bake for about 17 minutes. There are a few ways to tell when your muffins are done baking. The first is by color. The muffins will be lightly browned at the top once they’re done.
Because the color can sometimes be deceiving, I like to also use another way to check, just to be sure. You can (1) either gently push the top of the muffin down with your fingers- if it bounces back up they’re done! Or (2) insert a clean toothpick into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, they’re done. If not, let these Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins continue baking for a few minutes more.
Other Muffin Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
I know these Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are gonna be your favorite, but I still wanted to share some of my other muffin variations too!
- Whole Wheat Vegan Strawberry Muffins
- Vegan Streusel Blueberry Muffins
- Easy Vegan Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins
I know you’ll love these Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins! They’re super easy to make, they have the perfect amount of lemony flavor and they have the perfect texture! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below.
Other Lemon Recipes You’ll Love:
- Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Easy Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
- Cranberry Lemon Energy Bites
Tools You Might Need:
Easy Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup melted vegan butter
- ⅓ cup plain unsweetened applesauce
- ⅔ cups unsweetened almond milk + 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp lemon extract
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Measure out ⅔ cups of unsweetened almond milk and add 2 tsp apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add in the wet ingredients and whisk together to combine. Batter may still be a little lumpy.
- Gently mix in the lemon zest and poppy seeds.
- Evenly disperse the batter into your muffin pan using a ¼ measuring cup.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 17 minutes or until they bounce back up after gently touching them.
- While the muffins are baking, whisk together the ingredients for the icing. Set aside.
- Once the muffins are finished baking, set them aside and allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, drizzle the icing over the muffins. Enjoy!