Winter is unofficially here. I say unofficially because winter doesn’t really start until December 21st, but here in North Carolina we’ve already had our first winter storm. Last weekend I finished off my last bit of pumpkin (another sign that winter is here).
I made some pumpkin spice oatmeal and a creamy smoothie with banana, pumpkin, cranberries, cashews, almond milk, and pumpkin pie seasoning. It was totally random and was made on a whim, but it was perfection!
Since the snow was on it’s way last weekend and I knew I’d likely be in the house for 3 days, I figured this was the perfect time to bake some holiday cookies (yet another sign that winter is here). I’d never made ginger cookies, but I knew that if I made them they HAD to be soft! Ginger snap cookies never appealed to me and I’ve always had a preference for soft cookies.
These ginger cookies… omg. Not only will they fill your home with an amazing ginger aroma, but they taste amazing as well. They’re perfectly soft and only take 10 minutes to bake!
These ginger cookies were so good, I had to get rid of them. FAST. I thought this might happen, so I strategically made them on a Monday (a snow day) so I could take them to work the next day to share with my coworkers.
They may have thought I was being generous, but I was really looking out for my own best interest. I knew that if I left those cookies at home, there would be a problem. I would have DEMOLISHED those cookies! QUICK!
I can say without a doubt that I’ll be making another batch of these again, VERY soon. One of my coworkers has already requested an order of her own! I think these would make excellent Christmas gifts too!
Give these ginger cookies a try and let me know what you think in the comments below! I know you’ll love them too!
Other Cookies You’ll Enjoy:
- Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Brown Sugar Cookies
- Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies
Tools You Might Need:
Soft + Chewy Ginger Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup softened vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds+2.5 tbsp water mixed and chilled for 10 min in the freezer)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy with a hand mixer. Then add in the flax egg, water, and molasses.
- Add in the dry ingredients with the butter mixture and beat until well combined and a dough has formed.
- On a pan lined with parchment paper, shape dough into one inch balls or use a cookie scoop to maintain consistency. In a small bowl, lightly roll each ball in the tablespoon of white sugar (I only dipped one side) and space equally on the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then transfer the cookies with the parchment paper to a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, eat and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Adopted by One Little Project.