If it involves lemon, COUNT ME IN! I’ve been wanting to make these Vegan Lemon Cupcakes for quite some time and I finally perfected them!
When it comes to cakes I’m very particular. They’ve got to have good flavor, be moist, and have good texture. I’m happy to say these Vegan Lemon Cupcakes have all three! To put the icing on the cake, they’re really easy to make. To make the actual cupcakes, you’ll need just 9 ingredients. What makes this even better is that they’re all so common. You probably have most if not all of these ingredients waiting for you in the kitchen!
Not in the mood for cupcakes? This recipe could easily be adapted for a regular sized cake. Use this Easy Vegan Vanilla Cake recipe as a reference if you’re curious about how to adjust the cooking time.
The frosting is also super simple. You might recognize it from my previous post. Though the recipe is for a basic vanilla frosting you could mix in some lemon zest or even swap the vanilla extract for lemon extract for a little extra lemon flavor. I kept it simple and just used some extra lemon zest for garnish, but this part is completely customizable!
Tip: for a guaranteed smooth frosting, be sure to sift the powdered sugar. Taking a few minutes to sift the powdered sugar will definitely keep you from over-mixing the frosting trying to remove lumps that have formed.
DIY Tulip Cupcake Liners
If you’re wondering about my cute little tulip cupcake liners, I actually made them myself! I had planned to use traditional liners, but I went into the pantry and discovered I only had 3 left! Well obviously that wasn’t going to work, so I did what I do best: improvise! I can’t lie, my first reaction was to run to the store, but I quickly remembered how easy it was to make these liners because I also used them for my Pumpkin Spice Muffins. There’s a pictorial in that post showing how easy they are to make.
I know you’ll love these Vegan Lemon Cupcakes! They’re super easy to make and so delicious! I took them to work (because I don’t need the temptation lingering in my home!) and they disappeared QUICK! Give them a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Tools You Might Need:
This post contains affiliate links.
Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cups unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup melted vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- ½ cup softened vegan butter (should be room temperature)
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients for the cake, then add in the wet ingredients and mix together.
- Line a cupcake pan with liners and distribute the batter amongst the pan using a ¼ measuring cup.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick can be removed clean once inserted into the center of a cupcake.
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting. Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and use an electric mixer to combine until the frosting is light and fluffy. Set aside in the fridge (or leave out if your home isn't too warm).
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and carefully take each of them out of the pan and transfer onto the counter so they stop cooking and are allowed to cool.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, ice them using your frosting. Garnish with additional lemon zest (optional) and enjoy!