Hey y’all! I’m here to get you ready for Taco Tuuueeeeesdayyyyyy! Or maybe just Taco Wednesday, or Thursday… hell, really any day of the week will do.
In my house, we don’t need a reason to eat tacos! Especially these Easy Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos!
I think my husband would agree that if we ate tacos everyday, he’d be a happy camper. Tacos and guacamole to be exact.
He likes to joke that he could be vegan if he could eat guacamole everyday.
Well, I don’t believe that but it’s always amusing nonetheless. Any who, it’s been a while since I’d made a dish with jackfruit, so I decided to make these delicious easy Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos!!
What are Carnitas Tacos?
Carnitas tacos are traditionally made from pork shoulders that have been seasoned and cooked until they’re tender with a variety of herbs.
After being cooked, they’re roasted in the oven until slightly crispy. From here, they’re eaten in a variety of different ways— in burritos, tamales, and tacos to name a few.
Well clearly this recipe is NOT for traditional pork tacos. I wanted to recreate a traditional recipe for all my plant-based homies out there 🙂
Happy to say I succeeded! These beauties were TOO GOOD! Just look at the pictures, can’t you tell?!
How to Make Vegan Carnitas Tacos:
Making these Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos was super easy. You’ll begin by separating the jackfruit pieces, cutting away the hard parts and removing the seeds.
This is optional, but I think it helps with the overall texture. Once the jackfruit is divided, you’ll sauté your onions and garlic together in a pan and season it with salt and pepper to taste.
Next, add in the jackfruit and continue mixing with the garlic and onions. Now it’s time to add in the remaining seasonings, vegetable broth and lime juice.
Increase the temperature in order to bring everything to a boil, then lower the temperature so that the boil is reduced to a simmer.
Allowing the ingredients to simmer will help the flavors come together, which is exactly what you want!
While the jackfruit mixture is simmering, you can start preparing for it to go into the oven by preheating the oven to 425°.
Grab your favorite baking pan and line it with parchment paper. This will help to keep that jackfruit from sticking to the pan.
Once 15 minutes has passed, the liquid from the jackfruit mixture should now be mostly evaporated.
Turn the heat off, carefully remove the bay leaves, and and evenly spread the mixture over the baking pan lined with parchment paper. Next, pop it in the oven for 25 minutes!
While the jackfruit is baking in the oven, now would be a great time to start preparing your favorite taco toppings.
A few of my favorites are chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes (or salsa), and red onions. Guacamole would make an excellent topping too!
Once the jackfruit is finished baking it should be golden in color and have lightly crisp edges.
Baking the jackfruit will help add to the texture of the jackfruit, making it more meaty. Now you’re ready to start building your tacos and preparing to enjoy them!
What to Eat with Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos
Wanna make this into a complete meal? Try pairing these Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos with a few of these amazing side dishes:
I’m confident that even your omni friends and family will love these Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos!
They’re easy to make, flavorful and delicious! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Easy Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos [+VIDEO]
- 2 tbsp neutral oil (I used olive oil)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ white onion diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 20 oz. cans of jackfruit in brine or water seeds removed, drained, rinsed and squeezed with a clean dish cloth
- black pepper to taste
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp lime juice
- tortillas for serving
- roughly chopped cilantro for garnish
- diced tomato for topping (optional)
- diced red onion for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a large pan heat about 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Once heated, add the diced onions and minced garlic to the pan and sauté for about 2 minutes. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Add jackfruit to the pan and combine together with the onions and garlic. Sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add all seasonings, brown sugar, vegetable broth and lime juice. Stir together and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover with a lid. Let sit for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While simmering, prepare a baking pan for the oven by lining it with parchment paper.
- Once the liquid has evaporated from the pan, evenly spread the jackfruit mixture over the pan (remove the bay leaves), then transfer to the oven for 25 minutes.
- While the jackfruit is cooking, you can begin preparing your favorite taco toppings (chopped cilantro, diced tomato, red onions…etc.) and warming your tortillas.
- After 25 minutes, remove the jackfruit from the oven and build your tacos.