If you’ve been plant-based or vegan for any length of time, I’m sure you’ve grown familiar with beans. Most likely black beans. I’ve been longing to make some Chipotle style black beans and the time has finally come! These seasoned black beans are LEGIT. So flavorful and versatile!
How to Season Black Beans Like Chipotle
Like any good dish, you gotta have the right seasonings to make it legit. Luckily, for this recipe, you’ll just need a few basic seasonings you probably already have. Dried bay leaves, sea salt, black pepper, oregano, cumin, and chili powder. The other ingredients are also pretty common. For this recipe, the more you let it simmer, the more flavorful the black beans will be. At the very least, let them cook for 25 minutes. They taste even better the next day!
Vegan Seasoned Black Beans
Don’t you hate it when you go to a restaurant and find out that they season their beans with meat? I HATE THAT! For the life of me, I could never understand why restaurants do this. Especially when it’s possible to create amazing flavor without it. Lucky for you, you’ve found this recipe. All the flavor and no meat!
How to Cook Seasoned Black Beans
What I love most about this recipe is how easy it is to make. The recipe includes everyday ingredients. You’ll start by sautéing the onion and garlic (I’m convinced that every good recipe starts this way), then adding in the remaining ingredients. It’s important to give the black beans time to absorb the seasonings.
I love these black beans because they’re so versatile. Check out the burrito I made below!
View this post on Instagram
Dinner this week has been LIT! 🙌🏾🔥 Boppin’ into the kitchen every evening to whip this baby up! . Chile, the way I was rollin’ these burritos up you woulda thought I used to work at Chipotle! . Over the weekend I prepped Cilantro Lime Rice and Seasoned Black Beans to use for these throughout the week. It was enough to make 8 burritos! These recipes aren’t on the blog yet, but I’ll be adding both of them (the rice + beans) very soon 😉 Trust me, you NEED them! . Oh, and they’re #PickyAssHusbandApproved Vegan sour cream + cheese included 😏 . www.icanyoucanvegan.com
This recipe would go great with:
- CIlantro Lime Rice
- Portobello Fajitas
- BBQ Jackfruit Empanadas
- Sriracha Jackfruit Bowl
- Lentil Tacos
- Fancy Mexican Rice
- Chickpea Tacos
I know you’ll love this recipe! It’s the perfect side dish (or main if that’s your thing), plus they’re super versatile! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Tools You Might Need:
This post contains affiliate links.
Seasoned Black Beans
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ heaping cup of white onion finely diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 15.5oz. cans black beans drained, NOT rinsed
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water (can also opt for another cup of vegetable broth)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- roughly chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat pot to medium temperature and add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil.
- While the oil is heating up, measure out the seasonings and place in small dish so that they can be added all at once.
- Once warm, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Sauté until garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the drained black beans along with the vegetable broth, water, seasonings, and lime juice. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for at least 25 minutes.
- Once finished, remove the bay leaves and serve alongside your favorite meal or pair with rice. Garnish with cilantro (optional). Enjoy!