A lot of people struggle with finding main dishes for grilling season and I’m here to help. If you’re new around here, you should know that I love tofu! It’s so easy to make and its versatility is limitless! I’ve always been a sucker for sweet and spicy, so this Sweet and Spicy Teriyaki Grilled Tofu recipe was an easy win.
To make this Easy Sweet and Spicy Teriyaki Grilled Tofu recipe, you’ll need just a few ingredients. A lot of which you probably already have. One of my goals in creating recipes has and always will be to make things as easy as possible for you to follow along with from start to finish and this recipe does just that! You’ll slice your tofu, marinate it, grill it and before you know it, it’s ready to eat!
How to Make Sweet and Spicy Teriyaki Sauce
Making this Sweet and Spicy Teriyaki Grilled Tofu recipe is super easy. To make the sauce, you’ll need just 7 ingredients. Simply combine them all in a small bowl with a whisk, then you’re ready to drizzle it over the tofu to let in marinate. If you’re in a hurry, be sure to let it marinate for at least 30 minutes to one hour to make sure there’s enough time for the flavors to be absorbed.
Whenever I’m making tofu, I always opt to use super firm tofu that I find at Trader Joe’s. Mainly because it has more of a firm and meaty texture. In addition, it usually doesn’t have much water in it which means I don’t have to press it, just pat it dry! However, if you prefer to use a different kind you’re more than welcome to!
Whatever kind of tofu you choose, just be sure to drain all of the water out of it prior to marinating. This way the tofu is able to absorb more of the flavor from your marinade. To press tofu, you can use a tofu press, or you can use a few household items you already have.
For instance, I usually wrap the block of tofu in a few layers of napkins or paper towels, place it in a dish, then place my cast iron pan on top of it along with a few canned goods. This way there’s enough weight on it to push the excess water out, but not enough to completely crush it. See what I mean?
Once your tofu is finished marinating, you can go ahead and transfer it to your preheated grill, making sure they’re evenly spaced. I cooked mine around 350°-400° degrees for 8-10 minutes on each side. In addition, I use a basting brush to spread a little leftover marinade over each piece of tofu while it’s cooking. This part is completely optional, but I like to think it adds in a little more flavor. When I flip each piece of tofu, I also add a little more of the marinade to the other side as well.
What to Serve with Grilled Tofu:
Since you’re likely enjoying this Easy Sweet and Spicy Teriyaki Grilled Tofu recipe as a meat substitute, feel free to enjoy it along with your favorite side dishes you’d eat at a cookout!
- BBQ Baked Beans
- Rainbow Asian Slaw
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Brown Sugar Grilled Pineapple
- Spicy Mayo Grilled Corn
I know you’ll love this Easy Sweet and Spicy Teriyaki Grilled Tofu Recipe! It’s easy to make, has great flavor, and is the perfect meat alternative to enjoy while the rest of the fam is eating chicken! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think of it in the comments below!
Tools You Might Need for this Easy Sweet and Spicy Teriyaki Grilled Tofu Recipe:
Sweet and Spicy Teriyaki Grilled Tofu
- 1 block super firm tofu sliced into 5 pieces and pressed to remove excess water
- sesame seeds for garnish optional
- chopped green onion for garnish optional
- In a small bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients and set aside
- Place the sliced tofu in an appropriately sized dish for marinating and pour the marinade over the tofu, making sure to cover all of the pieces.
- Place the marinating tofu in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- When the tofu is almost finished marinating, preheat your grill so that it's warmed. Use tongs to transfer the tofu from the container to the grill, making sure they're evenly spaced.
- Use a basting brush to top each of the tofu pieces with the leftover marinade from the container.
- Cook the tofu at around 350°-400° for about 8-10 minutes on each side. Apply more of the marinade as desired.
- Once finished, remove from the grill and garnish with sesame seeds and green onion (optional). Enjoy!