If you’re looking for something different to try for a main dish during the holidays I cannot recommend this Vegan Ground Beef Wellington with Puff Pastry enough! The vegan ground is seasoned to perfection then wrapped in a puff pastry sheet and baked until it’s golden brown. It’s the perfect dish to make for your family and friends for any special occasion.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make a Vegan Ground Beef Wellington:
- ground flaxseed meal
- vegan ground meat
- minced garlic
- yellow onion
- smoked paprika
- dried oregano
- dried thyme
- dried rosemary
- dried parsley
- panko breadcrumbs
- vegan Worcestershire sauce
- all- purpose flour
- vegan puff pastry sheet
- olive oil
How to Make Vegan Ground Beef Wellington with Puff Pastry
Making this Vegan Ground Beef Wellington recipe is a lot easier than it probably looks. You want to start by rounding up all of your ingredients because there’s nothing worse than getting halfway through a recipe only to realize that you are missing something!
Once all of your ingredients have been gathered, you can go ahead and prepare the flax egg. If you’ve never made a flax egg, it’s really simple to make. All you’ll need to do is combine 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 5 tablespoons of water and stir. Set it aside in order for it to thicken while you’re preparing the other ingredients.
I always like to start this recipe by caramelizing the onions. Grab a medium size pan and over medium heat, add about 1 tablespoon of oil and your diced onion. Season it with a little bit of salt and pepper and sauté the onions until they are caramelized. If you’re short on time you can totally skip this step because it does take a while for the onions to caramelize, however I love caramelized onions so I take any opportunity I can to use them in a recipe.
While the onions are caramelizing, go ahead and start combining the remaining ingredients in a large bowl— The vegan ground along with your chopped garlic, paprika, thyme, oregano, rosemary, parsley, panko breadcrumbs, flax egg, and Worcestershire sauce. Once the onions are finished cooking, go ahead and add those too. Mix the ingredients together using a large spoon until everything is well combined.
Transfer the mixture to a cutting board to shape into a loaf. On another clean surface area grab your puff pastry sheet and sprinkle the workspace with a little bit of flour (one or two tablespoons). Lay the puff pastry sheet out and gently roll it out with a rolling pin (or smooth drinking glass) just a bit. Remove the puff pastry sheet from the counter and place it diagonally over the loaf and cover all the sides.
The next part is a little tricky so if you don’t do it perfectly, don’t worry about it. This step requires you to carefully turn the Vegan Ground Beef Wellington over in order to fold down the underside of the loaf. I have found that the best way to do this (if there is such thing) is to use a spatula to go under the bottom of the loaf and pick it up using the spatula.
Once you have picked it up, quickly fold over the four corners and transfer right side up to the dish you intend to bake it in. Once the loaf is in the dish you can reshape as necessary.
It is also optional to create a design over top of the loaf. You can do this by firmly, but gently scoring over the top of the Vegan Ground Beef Wellington with a butter knife, just be sure not to cut all the way through. On the other hand, if you don’t press firmly enough the design won’t be as prominent as you might expect (which is what happened to me!).
Once the loaf is ready, brush over top of it with one to two tablespoons of olive oil. Transfer it to the oven and bake on 425° for 45 minutes.
When the Ground Beef Wellington is done baking remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve alongside your favorite side dishes and enjoy with the family and friends!
Where Can I Find Vegan Puff Pastry Sheets?
The brand I use most commonly is from Pepperidge Farm. You can find this brand at most grocery stores in the frozen food aisle near the breads. I have also seen a vegan friendly puff pastry sheets at Sprouts (store brand), however it’s definitely worth checking with your favorite grocery store to see what they have available.
What to Pair with Vegan Ground Beef Wellington
- Easy Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Air Fried Green Beans
- 4 Cheese Vegan Baked Mac and Cheese
- Easy Vegan Fried Cabbage
I know you’ll love this Vegan Ground Beef Wellington. It’s the perfect main dish to celebrate a special occasion or for a holiday dinner with friends and family. Give this recipe a try and let me know how it goes in the comments below!
Hungry for more? Follow me on Youtube, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!
Vegan Ground Beef Wellington with Puff Pastry [+VIDEO]
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp ground flaxseed meal + 5 tbsp water)
- 2 lbs vegan ground meat
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 4 tsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 tbsp all- purpose flour
- 1 vegan puff pastry sheet slightly rolled out
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed with water to create a flax egg. Set aside.2 flax eggs
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Add a few drops of oil to a pan over medium heat. Sauté diced onions until caramelized.1 medium yellow onion
- While the onions are cooking, add the vegan ground, seasonings, garlic, panko, flax eggs and Worcestershire sauce to a bowl. Once the onions are done, add them as well.2 lbs vegan ground meat, 3 cloves garlic, ½ tsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp dried thyme, 2 tsp dried rosemary, 4 tsp dried parsley, salt and pepper to taste, ¾ cup panko breadcrumbs, 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a clean surface and shape into a loaf.
- On another clean surface, lightly sprinkle it with flour and unfold the vegan puff pastry sheet. Roll it out just slightly.1-2 tbsp all- purpose flour, 1 vegan puff pastry sheet
- Place the puff pastry sheet diagonally over top of the loaf.
- Carefully pick up the loaf and turn it over on a clean surface.
- Fold over the corners, then turn the loaf right side up onto greased baking dish and reshape as needed.
- Gently, but firmly score overtop to create a design (optional) with a knife. Brush the loaf with olive oil and top with dried parsley to taste (optional).1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Once finished, remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Slice and serve alongside your favorite sides. Enjoy!