Are you a cabbage fan? Well if not, you’re about to be! Growing up I was never too fond of cabbage. I don’t know what it was about cabbage, but it just wasn’t my jam. Fast forward a few years later and here we are. I REALLY enjoy cabbage these days. So much so, I’ve been happily testing this recipe (and enjoying every bite) for the past few weeks. My dad even gave it the stamp of approval! This easy vegan fried cabbage recipe is the perfect side dish to all of your favorite meals!
Ingredients for Vegan Fried Cabbage
To make this dish, you’ll need just a few simple ingredients you likely already have on hand:
- Vegan Butter
- White Onion
- Head of Cabbage
- Red Bell Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- Liquid Smoke
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- Organic Cane Sugar
- Poultry Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
How to Make Vegan Fried Cabbage
Making Vegan Fried Cabbage is actually really easy. I always thought that making a good batch of cabbage would be a little more complicated. Especially since a lot of the more traditional recipes you see online include things like pork bacon to add to the flavor profile. Well since that’s clearly not an option on this blog, I used worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke to make up for it.
To start, you’ll want to heat your vegan butter over medium heat to allow it to melt. A wok would be really great for this dish, but if you don’t have one a large pot works well too. Once the butter has melted, you’ll add in your diced onion and season it with a little salt and pepper to taste. Sauté the onions until they are translucent and cooked down considerably.
Now it’s time to add in your chopped cabbage. It will look like a lot initially, but it won’t stay that way. As the cabbage cooks down, a lot of the volume will decrease until you’re left with what appears to be half of the original amount. While the cabbage is cooking down, be sure to cover it with a lid to speed up the process and stir occasionally. Stirring will help break up some of the pieces that were stuck together.
At this point, you’re ready to stir in the seasonings, including the vegan Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke. Keep in mind that depending on the type of poultry seasoning you’re using, you may need to adjust the amount of salt being added. I used this one from Trader Joe’s, but I hear this one is great too.
Once your cabbage has cooked down, remove the lid. Now you’re ready to add in the green and red bell pepper. Cook these just long enough so that they’re cooked, but not wilted. I don’t know about you, but I like my bell peppers to still have a little texture to them. Keep your mushy peppers away from me! I found that they’re just right after cooking for about 4-5 minutes.
Peppers cooked just right? It’s time to eat! Turn off the stove and pair this with your favorite mains and sides. Need some ideas? Check out some suggestions below!
Can I Add Vegan Meat to This?
YES! Take this dish up a notch by adding your favorite vegan bacon or sausage. Beyond Beef’s Hot Italian Sausages would go GREAT with this! Prepare your vegan bacon or sausage in a separate pan, then add them to the cabbage once it’s done.
How to Store Vegan Fried Cabbage
Got leftovers? You can store this dish in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
What to Eat with Vegan Fried Cabbage
- Air Fried Mac and Cheese Bites
- Spicy Chicken Fried Jackfruit
- Easy Vegan Cheddar Bay Biscuits
- Spicy Chicken Fried Tofu
- Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Crispy Baked Breaded Tofu
- Southern Black Eyed Peas
- Easy Vegan Cornbread
I know you’ll love this Easy Vegan Fried Cabbage recipe! It’s easy to make, tastes delicious and makes for the perfect side dish! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Easy Vegan Fried Cabbage
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- ½ white onion diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 large head of cabbage (about 9 cups)
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste optional
- ½ red bell pepper cut into medium pieces
- ½ green bell pepper cut into medium pieces
- In a large pan over medium heat add the vegan butter and allow to melt.
- Once the vegan butter has melted, add the diced onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the chopped cabbage to the pan. Cover with a lid until the cabbage has cooked down a bit (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently. Add the seasonings and stir to combine.
- Once the cabbage has cooked down, remove the lid and add in the fresh green and red bell peppers. Continue to cook a few minutes more until the peppers are tender (about 4-5 minutes).
- Once finished remove from heat and serve alongside your favorite dish! Enjoy!