I’ve said it before and I’ll say it a million times more. I looooove pasta! It’s been a while since I’ve made spinach lasagna rolls. These used to be one of my favorite meals prior to making “the switch.” I do remember making them when I first transitioned using vegan friendly subs, but it just wasn’t quite the same.
Well, that was almost three years ago and a lot has changed since then. I’ve learned soooo much more about homemade vegan alternatives (like using almonds to make ricotta cheese). I saw a picture of some lasagna rolls and figured now would be the perfect time to revisit one of my old favorites.
If you watch my IG stories, you know that I recently meal-prepped these for lunch. They turned out so well! This was definitely one of those weeks where I was too hype for lunch time to come around every day! I paired it with some sautéed broccoli and a test version of some vegan cheddar bay biscuits (recipe coming soon!). Pure heaven!
Making these spinach lasagna rolls is so easy. First you’ll want to start with the almond ricotta. If it sounds intimidating, it’s not. Simply toss all of the ingredients in a food processor or small blender until it’s thickened into what looks like ricotta cheese. Then set aside in the fridge while you prepare the lasagna noodles and spinach. The lasagna noodles only require you to boil them in water until done. As for the spinach component, I kept it easy (and frugal) by using frozen spinach that I seasoned and sautéed over the stove.
At this point, all that’s left to do is start rollin’! This is the fun part 🙂 To make this step easier, I decided to mix the spinach with the almond ricotta so I could spread it over the lasagna rolls all at once. When creating your rolls it’s important to use the filling sparingly in the beginning. There’s nothing worse than running out of the almond ricotta and spinach mixture prematurely. This has happened to me before and I had to unroll a few in order to finish all 8 of them. Yikes!
Once all of the rolls are done, place them in an 8×8 square baking dish and top them with marinara sauce ( I typically add more on later for serving). Cook them on the oven for about 20 minutes then top with fresh basil and vegan parmesan cheese. Voila! Dinner is served. Easy enough, right? Give these tasty Spinach Lasagna Rolls a try and let me know what you think of them in the comments below!
Spinach Lasagna Rolls with Almond Ricotta
Almond Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cups water
- 3 tbsp fresh basil (optional)
Lasagna Spinach Rolls
- 8 lasagna pieces
- 16 oz. frozen chopped spinach
- Italian seasoning to taste
- 2-3 cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350° and begin boiling a pot of water large enough to cook the lasagna pieces.
- In a food processor or blender combine all of the ingredients for the almond ricotta cheese. Blend until only slightly lumpy, resembling ricotta cheese. Set aside in the refrigerator while preparing the other components.
- Now that the water is boiling, add your lasagna to the pot and cook according to package instructions or until lasagna noodles are tender. Once finished cooking, drain the hot water and fill pot with cool water (this will keep the lasagna from sticking and forces it to stop cooking). Set aside.
- In a medium sized pan cook your frozen spinach and season to your taste with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning blend. Drain any excess water.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the cooked spinach and almond ricotta cheese.
- Using a cutting board, remove the pasta from the cool water and lay flat vertically. Spread about 3 tablespoons (more or less) along the lasagna until it's covered. Starting with the end closest to you, begin rolling the lasagna (like you would a sleeping bag) and repeat the process until all are done.
- In a square 8×8 baking dish, spread a few spoonfuls of marinara sauce along the bottom. Transfer the spinach rolls to the dish (they will be snug), then top with marinara sauce to taste. Cook for 20 minutes in the oven.
- Once finished cooking, remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil and vegan parmesan cheese. Enjoy!