Wanna know why I love a good pasta dish? They’re typically pretty easy to make and the leftovers are always a hit! That definitely holds true for this Easy Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Pasta recipe. The light, but flavorful sauce is made up of sun dried tomatoes, lots of garlic and vegan parmesan cheese.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Pasta:
- Penne Pasta
- Fresh Garlic
- Sliced Almonds
- Jarred Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Vegetable Broth
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese Shreds
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Fresh Parsley (optional)
How to Make Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Pasta
One of the reasons I love this Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Pasta is because it’s so easy to make! To start, you’ll want to begin boiling a large pot of water in order to cook your pasta according to the package directions. While the pasta is cooking, you can begin making the sauce.
The sauce for this pasta isn’t extremely thick or creamy so don’t expect it to be, but also know that it lacks nothing in flavor!
In a large sauté pan, toast your sliced almonds until they’re lightly browned over medium heat (just the almonds, nothing else). Be sure to stir occasionally. It’s important to note that when you’re doing this, there’s no need to add oil or water to the pan. Since we’re just lightly toasting them, anything more is unnecessary and could cause the almonds to stick (which we don’t want!).
Once the almonds are lightly browned, remove them from the pan and set them aside in a separate bowl or dish. In that same pan, add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil (or oil from the jarred sun dried tomatoes) to the pan and sauté both the diced sun dried tomatoes and minced garlic, stirring frequently until the garlic is fragrant.
At this point, you’re ready to add in the vegetable broth and vegan parmesan cheese. Whisk the mixture together until the cheese is melted and everything is well combined.
By now (or likely before now), your pasta should be done. Drain the pasta, but reserve some of the pasta water in case you’d like to add it to your sauce. This is totally optional, but it’s always nice to have in case you need it. I didn’t end up needing it, but you might find it necessary perhaps depending on what type of vegan cheese you use. Some may thicken more than others.
Add in the sliced cherry tomatoes and stir them into the mixture. Allow them to cook until they have softened and have wilted slightly.
Now that both the noodles and pasta sauce is ready, add the pasta to the sauce and stir to combine so that all of the noodles have been coated. Plate your Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Pasta and garnish with the toasted almonds, fresh parsley and a pinch of salt. Done!
What Else Can I Add to this Dish?
There are lots of things you could add to this Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Pasta, but here are my top 3 recommendations!
- Fresh Spinach
- Broccoli Florets
- Vegan Chicken Pieces
Do I Have to Use Penne Pasta?
Nope! You can also use linguine or even spaghetti noodles. Since I have a 9 month old, I generally try to use penne for a lot of dishes so I can share with him. They’re much easier for him to pick up to feed himself for a little self-led baby weaning action.
I know you’ll love this Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Pasta! The most prominent flavor in this pasta is the sun dried tomatoes. It’s made from scratch, using fresh minced garlic, vegan parmesan cheese, vegetable broth and sun dried tomatoes. It’s easy to make, perfect for customizing and doesn’t require any cream like a lot of other recipes! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Other Pasta Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Roasted Vegetable Penne Pasta Bake
- Easy Vegan Rasta Pasta
- Vegan Cashew Alfredo
- Easy Thai Red Curry Pasta
- One Pot Tomato Basil Pasta
- Sun Dried Tomato Broccoli Pasta with White Wine Sauce
- Gochujang Eggplant Pasta
Easy Vegan Sun Dried Tomato Pasta (No Cream!)
- 1 lb (16 oz) penne pasta
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil (or oil from sun dried tomatoes)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes sliced lengthwise
- fresh parsley chopped- to taste (optional)
- sea salt to taste (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a large sauté pan add your sliced almonds and toast over low-medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once toasted, remove from pan and set aside in a separate dish.
- In the same pan that was used to toast the almonds, add oil along with diced sun dried tomatoes and minced garlic. Sauté until garlic is fragrant (1-2 minutes).
- Add the vegan parmesan cheese and vegetable broth. Whisk until mixture is well combined and cheese has melted.
- Add in sliced cherry tomatoes and cook until slightly wilted.
- Drain the water from the pasta and add the penne pasta to the sauce mixture. Stir to combine so that all of the noodles are coated in the sauce.
- Garnish with toasted almonds, fresh parsley and a pinch of sea salt to taste. Enjoy!