This post was sponsored by the wonderful people at Wholesome! All opinions are my own.
If you’re looking for a twist on the traditional sugar cookie you have got to try these Easy Vegan Matcha Sugar Cookies! Not only are these matcha sugar cookies a beautiful green color, they are so delicious and the perfect blend of a matcha flavor and traditional sugar cookie. This recipe is really easy to make and only requires a few ingredients. I know you’re going to love these cookies!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Easy Vegan Matcha Sugar Cookies:
- Ground flaxseed meal
- Vegan butter
- Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Matcha powder
- Vanilla extract
How to make Easy Vegan Matcha Sugar Cookies:
To make these Easy Vegan Matcha Sugar Cookies you’ll want to first begin by gathering all of your ingredients. There is nothing worse than getting halfway through a recipe only to realize that you’re missing ingredients.
As with most cookie recipes, you’ll want to start by ensuring your vegan butter is prepped. And by prepped I mean softened. It’s important to make sure that your vegan butter is softened and not melted. Typically I like to do this by setting it out on the counter a few hours before I plan to make my cookies.
How to Soften Vegan Butter in the Microwave
Unfortunately time doesn’t always allow for this, so whenever I’m pinched for time I typically soften the butter in the microwave. Not by using a microwave setting, but instead I do the following: Fill a container or liquid measuring cup with two cups of water, then heat for two or three minutes until the water is boiling.
Once the water has started boiling, stop the microwave and place the vegan butter inside of the microwave quickly. Leave the vegan butter in the microwave along with the hot water for 10 to 15 minutes. Do this and your refrigerated vegan butter should be softened enough to use for baking cookies.
Flax eggs are one of my favorite egg substitutes to use when baking. It’s really easy to make because all you need to do is mix together one tablespoon of flaxseed meal along with two and a half tablespoons of water and give it a stir. Transfer to the refrigerator for a few minutes while you’re preparing the remaining ingredients, then retrieve it once you’re ready to add it to the mix.
In a large bowl use a hand mixer (or standing mixer) to combine the vegan butter and Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar. I love this brand because the quality of their products make my cookies that much better. You can taste the quality in every bite!
Beat the Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar and vegan butter together until it appears whipped, then to the same bowl add in the remaining ingredients- all purpose flour, baking soda, salt, matcha powder, vanilla extract, the flax egg, and water.
Continue using the mixer to combine all of the ingredients. If by chance you notice the mixture is still crumbly, add in one additional tablespoon of water at a time while mixing until a dough is formed. For me this took four tablespoons, but this could differ slightly for you so I encourage you to add them in one at a time.
Once the dough is formed, transfer it to the freezer in order for it to chill for at least 30 minutes or in the refrigerator for one hour. This will help prevent your cookies from spreading too much while they are baking in the oven.
While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven. Once the dough is chilled, use a cookie scoop to retrieve the dough and roll each portion of dough into a ball. Dip each of the balls into a small container with more Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar, coating the entire outside.
Space them evenly on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper, then transfer the cookies to the oven for eleven minutes. Once the cookies have finished baking remove them from the oven and transfer them to a cooling rack. Once cooled, all that’s left to do is enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Vegan Matcha Sugar Cookies:
- Ensure that your vegan butter is softened, not melted. If the vegan butter is melted, the overall texture of the cookies will change, not to mention the dough will not form properly.
- Properly measure out all of your ingredients, especially the flour. Instead of scooping the flour out of its container using the measuring cup, use a spoon to scoop out spoonfuls of flour and transfer each of them to the measuring cup. Once the measuring cup is full, use a straight edge to remove any excess flour from overtop of the measuring cup.
- Use quality ingredients. Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar is truly my secret ingredient because you can actually taste the quality whenever baking with it. It’s an easy swap for refined sugar and it’s always so easy to find when I’m grocery shopping.
I know you’ll love these Easy Vegan Matcha Sugar Cookies. They are easy to make and offer the perfect twist on the traditional sugar cookie. Not to mention they are a beautiful green color which makes them perfect for the holidays! Give these cookies a try and let me know how it goes in the comments below!
More Cookies You’ll Love:
- Easy Vegan Brown Sugar Cookies
- Easy Vegan Cut Out Christmas Cookies
- Easy Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Easy Vegan White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies
- Easy Vegan Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Easy Vegan Christmas Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- Easy Vegan Thumbprint Cookies
Tools to Make Your Life Easier:
I have been compensated by Wholesome, Inc., maker of Wholesome® sweeteners, for my participation in this campaign.
Easy Vegan Matcha Sugar Cookies [+VIDEO]
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 tbsp water)
- ¾ cup vegan butter (softened not melted – room temperature)
- 1¼ cups Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
- 2¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tsp matcha powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp water (added one tbsp at a time)
- 5 tbsp Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar to roll cookies in
- In a small container mix together your flax egg and set aside in the fridge to thicken.1 flax egg
- In a large bowl, use a mixer to combine the vegan butter and Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar until light and fluffy.¾ cup vegan butter, 1¼ cups Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
- In the same bowl, add in the remaining ingredients- flour, baking soda, salt, matcha powder vanilla extract, flax egg and 1 tbsp of water.2¼ cup all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking soda, ¼ tsp salt, 3 tsp matcha powder, ½ tsp vanilla extract, 4 tbsp water
- Use a mixer to combine all ingredients. If mixture is crumbly, add one additional tablespoon of water at a time while mixing until a dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to the freezer to chill for 30 minutes (or 1 hour in the fridge).
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Using a cookie scoop to retrieve, roll each portion of dough into a ball and dip into a separate small bowl containing the 5 tbsp of Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar.5 tbsp Wholesome Organic Fair Trade Cane Sugar
- Transfer to a baking sheet and space them with plenty of room to spread.
- Bake for 11 minutes, let cool and enjoy!