I never imagined that I would be making Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies, but here we are. Honestly, peppermint has never really been too high on my list of favorites, but after taking a poll on IG recently these cookies were requested NUMEROUS TIMES! So I decided to go ahead and give the people what they want and whip some up.
Y’all, these cookies are DELICIOUS!! No lie, they remind me of Girl Scout Thin Mints, but a softer, chewier better version (dare I say). If you’re hesitant, don’t be! These cookies are truly delicious!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- Vegan Butter
- Organic Brown Sugar
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Baking Soda
- Vanilla Extract
- Peppermint Extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- Dairy-Free Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (or chunks)
- Crushed Candy Canes
How to Make Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies:
To make Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies, you’ll want to start by using a large mixing bowl combine your softened vegan butter and sugar together. Beat these two ingredients on a high speed using a standing mixer or hand mixer. After a minute or so, the ingredients should look whipped and well combined.
At this point, you’re ready to add in all remaining ingredients with the exception of the chocolate chips and crushed candy canes– unsweetened applesauce, baking soda, salt, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, flour and water.
Combine all of these ingredients along with the sugar and butter until a dough has formed. If by chance your dough still appears crumbly, add an additional 1-2 tablespoons of water or unsweetened plant milk to the mixture.
Now that the dough is formed, mix in the chocolate chips (or chunks) until they have been pretty evenly dispersed throughout. Use a cookie scoop to form each cookie ball and lightly dip them into a bowl of crushed candy canes.
I know it may seem like a good idea to roll them in crushed candy canes entirely, but DON’T!! The candy canes will melt and your cookies will be a melty, hard mess once they cool. Trust me, I’m speaking from experience. LOL Don’t worry, we’ll add more later.
Once each of your cookie balls have been lightly dipped in crushed candy canes, evenly space them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy removal. Bake them in your preheated oven for 11 minutes.
Once the Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies are finished baking, immediately add more crushed candy canes to the top of each one. Doing this while the cookies are still hot will help them to stick to the cookies better.
It’s possible that the cookies will be a little puffy. Don’t worry, they will flatten as they cool. To help them along, I recommend lightly banging the sheet pan on the counter a few times. Sounds a little crazy, but it works!
Allow your Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies to cool for about 5 minutes and you’re ready to enjoy!
Can You Freeze These Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Yes, these cookies can be frozen, but I would recommend freezing them before baking. For the best results, you can make the dough in advance and freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Once you’re ready to make them, thaw the dough, roll into balls, dip, bake and sprinkle with the crushed candy canes.
How Long Will They Keep?
These Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies will keep for up to 1 week refrigerated, and 3-4 days on the counter. But if I’m being honest, I doubt they’ll even last that long!
More Christmas Cookies You’ll Love:
- Vegan White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies
- Easy Vegan Snickerdoodles
- Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brown Sugar Cookies
- Red Velvet White Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Thumbprint Cookies
- Christmas Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
I know you’ll love these Easy Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies! They’re soft, chewy and delicious with the perfect hint of peppermint to give you all the holiday feels. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Tools You Might Need:
Easy Vegan Peppermint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 8 tbsp vegan butter softened, NOT melted (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 cup organic brown sugar packed
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp peppermint extract
- 2 cup all-purpose flour spooned and leveled
- 2 tbsp water (or unsweetened plant milk)
- ¾ cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 candy canes crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened vegan butter and brown sugar on a high speed until it appears whipped (about 1½ minutes). I used a standing mixer, but you can also use a hand mixer as well.
- Add in the unsweetened applesauce, baking soda, pinch of sea salt, vanilla extract, peppermint extract and flour. Mix to combine.
- Batter will be crumbly. To form dough, add in water (or plant milk) and continue to mix.
- Add in the vegan chocolate chips and mix into the dough.
- Use a 1½ tbsp cookie scoop to create even balls of dough, then lightly dip in crushed candy canes.
- Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil for easy removal.
- Bake in preheated oven for 11 minutes.
- Once done, remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with additional crushed candy canes. Let cool for 5-6 minutes. Enjoy!