If you’ve never had a homemade black bean burger, stop what you’re doing right now and run to the store to go get these ingredients! Get some frozen fries to go on the side while you’re at it 😏
I’ve been making this black bean burger recipe for a little over a year and it’s definitely become a household favorite. If I stopped making these, I’m positive that my husband would divorce me thereafter. In an effort to prevent that, I make them about every other week.
Black beans are one of my favorite things to make. They’re so versatile! The only adjustment I’ve made to this recipe is I’ve done without the egg. The egg’s purpose is probably to serve as a binding agent to help hold everything together. In my experience, these burgers have stuck together pretty well in their absence.
I would say this black bean burger recipe makes about 6 burgers, so there’s certainly enough to have again the next day, or to pack for lunch. I simply store it in a container and place it in the fridge. I will say however, you may notice the mixture being a little crumbly once you go to make them again, but there’s good news! Once you form the patties and place them on the heated pan, they’ll be just fine.
So what are you waiting for? Give these black bean burgers a try! Trust me, you won’t regret it.
The BEST Black Bean Burger!
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxseed meal +5 tbsp water)
- 2 Cans Black Beans (drained, not rinsed)
- ½ Red Onion
- 2 Jalapenos (remove seeds for less spiciness)
- 1-2 Tbsp Oil (for cooking patties)
- 1 Cup Regular Bread Crumbs
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 1 tbsp Chili Pepper (optional)
- Mix together water and flaxseed meal and set in the fridge to thicken
- Open two cans of black beans and drain them, but do not rinse. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Smash the beans with the back of a spoon (you could also do this by hand). There should still be a few whole black beans visible.
- Using a food processor, dice the jalapenos and red onion
- Add some oil to a pan on medium-low heat while you’re getting everything together
- Add the chopped veggies, bread crumbs, flax egg and seasonings to the bowl of black beans. Mix well.
- Grab a handful of the mixture to form patties of your desired size (about ½ cup- ½-1 inch thick depending on preference). Place them in the pan
- Once the patties have browned (after about 3-4 minutes), flip them over for even cooking on both sides
- While the patties are cooking, begin “dressing” your bun with your favorite toppings.
- When patties are finished cooking, remove from heat and serve immediately. Enjoy!