It’s officially summer time which means it’s time to get on the grill! Most people would think that there’s nothing to grill for vegans other than your typical veggies (which are delicious, don’t get me wrong).
However, there’s so much more to enjoy if you know what recipes to follow.
Case and point these Vegan BBQ Ribs! This recipe is absolutely amazing and I know that you’re going to enjoy it because they are sticky, meaty, and just downright delicious.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Vegan BBQ Ribs:
- ground flaxseed meal
- plant-based ground meat
- canned jackfruit
- white onion
- fresh garlic
- brown sugar
- smoked paprika
- liquid smoke
- rib rub seasoning blend of choice
- BBQ Sauce of choice
How to Make Vegan BBQ Ribs:
Making Vegan BBQ Ribs is not as hard as what you might think. Instead of making everything completely from scratch, this recipe uses a combination of vegan ground and jackfruit (in brine or water- not fresh) to provide the stringy, fibrous meat-like texture.
To begin making this recipe you’ll want to start by preheating your oven to 350 and dicing up all of your fresh produce- your white onion and fresh garlic.
Once these items are chopped you can go ahead and start prepping your canned jackfruit.
Simply drain all of the water from the can and then remove the Jackfruit pieces and transfer to the center of a clean dishcloth.
Before wringing out the water, you can opt to remove the seeds, but this is optional.
I do it to maintain that “meaty” look, but if you want to keep the jackfruit as is, that’s totally fine! Wrap the jackfruit up in the cloth and wring out all of the water.
Releasing the water from the Jackfruit will help provide the meaty texture and make it easier for the Jackfruit to absorb more flavor. Next, you can prep your remaining ingredients.
Make your vegan egg by mixing the flaxseed meal with the water, then place it in the refrigerator to set.
Measure out your remaining seasonings such as brown sugar, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper and liquid smoke.
Now that all of your ingredients have been prepped you’re ready to start making your Vegan BBQ Ribs.
Add your plant-based ground meat to a large bowl along with the drained Jackfruit, white onion, garlic, brown sugar, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and liquid smoke.
Don’t forget to also add in your flax egg that’s been sitting in the refrigerator.
Once all of your ingredients have been added to the bowl use a large spoon or your hands to mix everything together until all of the ingredients are well combined.
Once the ingredients are combined, grab a large baking pan and line it with foil.
Transfer the vegan rib mixture over to the baking pan and form a rectangular shape that’s about 1 inch thick over top of the foil.
Once your ribs have been formed, use a knife to make vertical indentions every inch or so to create a “rib-like” appearance.
Sprinkle your vegan BBQ rib meat with a rib rub of your choice (optional), then transfer the baking pan to the oven and allow your Vegan BBQ Ribs to bake for 1 hour.
About 20 minutes before your Vegan BBQ Ribs are finished baking, if you are using a charcoal grill it may be a good opportunity to go ahead and get your grill warmed up and prepped so that you can transfer the Vegan BBQ Ribs to the grill soon after they are finished baking in the oven.
However, if you are using a gas grill you can turn it on just shortly before the ribs are finished cooking since you won’t need to really preheat it.
Once your Vegan BBQ Ribs are finished baking, remove them from the oven then use a brush to spread your BBQ sauce over the vegan ribs.
Transfer the vegan BBQ ribs to the grill along with the foil and cook on the grill for about 15 to 20 minutes between 300-400°.
Remove your vegan BBQ ribs from the grill once they are finished cooking then brush with additional barbecue sauce. Cut and separate at indentions and serve immediately. Enjoy!
What if I Don’t Have a Grill?
If you don’t have a grill that’s totally fine. The grilling aspect of the this recipe is completely optional, but to me it helps add a classic flavor to the dish.
If you don’t have a grill don’t worry you can eat these vegan BBQ ribs straight out of the oven after they’re finished.
I know you’ll love this Vegan BBQ Ribs recipe! It’s easy to make, delicious and the perfect meaty substitute.
If these don’t remind you of “fall off the bone” tender ribs, I don’t know what will! Give this recipe a try and let me know how it goes in the comments below!
Pair these Vegan BBQ Ribs With:
- Classic Southern Vegan Potato Salad
- 4 Cheese Baked Mac and Cheese
- Easy Avocado Black Bean Corn Salad
- Easy Spicy Mayo Grilled Corn
- Grilled Vegetable Skewers
Tools to Make Your Life Easier:
Easy Vegan BBQ Ribs [+VIDEO]
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 5 tbsp water)
- 1 lb plant-based ground meat
- 1 20 oz. can jackfruit drained + hard parts removed
- ¼ medium white onion diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- rib rub seasoning blend of choice to taste
- BBQ Sauce of choice to taste (¼-½ cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Combine the ground flaxseed and water to form flax egg. Place in the fridge to set.
- In a large bowl add your vegan ground, drained jackfruit, onion, garlic, brown sugar, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and liquid smoke. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking pan line with foil. Use your hands to form the mixture into a 1 inch thick rectangular shape, then use a knife to make indentions (to appear rib-like) about 1-1½ inches wide.
- Sprinkle with rib rub seasoning blend to taste, then transfer to the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Preheat grill (if necessary).
- Once the ribs are finished baking, remove from the oven and brush with BBQ sauce of choice.
- Transfer vegan rib rack (with foil) to the grill and cook for about 15-20 minutes at about 300-400°.
- Remove from the grill and brush with additional BBQ sauce to taste. Serve immediately.