A few years ago my husband and I took a trip down to the “Big Easy.” This was our very first trip to New Orleans and we had entirely too much fun!
This was in my pre-vegan days, so I was eating everything under the sun! No way I could pass up some good ol’ dirty rice.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do, right? RIGHT! A few days ago I saw a picture of some dirty rice and it quickly brought back memories of our trip.
I’d made dirty rice in the past, but it was nothing to write home about. Ooohhh, but THIS Easy Vegan Dirty Rice?! Amazing. Plus, it’s #PickyAssHusbandApproved! 🙂
How to Make Dirty Rice Easy:
Making vegan dirty rice is super easy! Especially with all of the vegan meat crumbles on the market these days. You can use whatever brand you prefer.
For this particular recipe, I used Gardein meatless crumbles. They taste good and can be found in most grocery stores which makes them easy to find.
You’ll want to start by cooking your rice (if you don’t have some prepared already). I find it easiest to use a rice maker, but you can prepare the rice however you prefer.
While the rice is cooking, you can begin dicing your onion, celery and green bell pepper. Dicing these items ahead of time will help ensure the cooking process runs smoothly.
In addition, you can measure out all of your seasonings and place them in a small dish so that you can add them at one time.
Once the rice is finished, you’re ready to start putting everything together! In a large sauté pan (think large enough to hold the three cups of rice and all of the sautéed veggies), you’ll begin by sautéing the diced onions and garlic with a neutral oil or water (if oil free).
Once the onions are cooked down and the garlic is fragrant, you can add in the vegan crumbles to combine with the onions and garlic.
Now it’s time to add in the diced green bell peppers and celery for your Easy Vegan Dirty Rice. Cook them for 1-2 minutes until they’ve softened a bit. Then stir in the seasonings and cornstarch.
At this point you’re ready to add in the vegetable broth and bay leaves. Cover the pan with a lid and allow the mixture to simmer after you’ve given it a good stir.
After about six minutes, most of the broth should be gone and it’s time to remove the bay leaves. Now it’s time to stir in the rice. I found this easiest to do one cup at a time.
Once all the rice is stirred in you can garnish it with chopped fresh parsley. This is optional, but adds a nice fresh touch to the dish.
Is Vegan Dirty Rice a Meal?
People often wonder if dirty rice is a complete meal. I think this could easily go either way. This Easy Vegan Dirty Rice could definitely be consumed as a meal or main dish.
Alternatively you could serve this as a side dish. Need ideas on what to serve with dirty rice? Here are a few ideas:
- Spicy Cauliflower Wings
- Crispy Breaded Tofu
- Black Eyed Pea Fritters
- Vegan Jackfruit Crab Cakes
- Spicy Chicken Fried Tofu
I know you’ll love this Easy Vegan Dirty Rice. It’s super flavorful and so easy to make! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think of it in the comments below!
Tools You Might Need:
Other Rice Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Vegan Dirty Rice [+ VIDEO]
- 2-3 tbsp neutral oil
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- 3 cups vegan "beef" crumbles
- ½ heaping cup green bell pepper diced
- ¼ cup celery diced
- 1½ tbsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (add more to taste at the end)
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp chili powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3½ cups cooked rice about 1¼ cups dried rice
- roughly chopped fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over low medium heat and sauté the diced onions and minced garlic together until fragrant.
- Add in your vegan crumbles and combine with the onions and garlic.
- Add in the diced celery and green bell pepper and combine with the other ingredients in the pan.
- Next, stir in the cornstarch and all spices (except for bay leaves). Stir to combine.
- Add in bay leaves and vegetable broth. Cover with a lid and let simmer over medium heat for about 6 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and stir in rice one cup at a time.
- Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!