Growing up, one of the things my family ate most was RICE! There were even times I would be perfectly content eating a bowl of rice topped with black pepper, butter and occasionally a sauce like General Tso’s. Actually my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Because I love rice so much, I’ve always loved experimenting with different kinds of rice. This led me to Coconut Turmeric Rice!
How to Make Coconut Turmeric Rice
Making this rice was super easy! Round up just six ingredients and you’re all set! You’ll start by sautéing some minced garlic in an oil of your choice. For an oil-free version, you can omit the oil and sauté with water instead. Next, you’ll simply add the remaining ingredients to the pot and bring it to a boil.
While the pot is boiling, it’s important to keep an eye on it. Especially when you notice that most of the liquid is gone. At this point, you want to make sure that you’re stirring the rice frequently so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. This is why I suggest using a non-stick pot to cook the rice in on the recipe card. There’s nothing worse than accidentally cooking the rice too long and half of it being stuck to the bottom of the pan. Yikes!
What Goes With Turmeric Rice?
You can pair this Coconut Turmeric Rice with all of your favorites! Pretty much whatever you’d normally pair with rice. Here are a few suggestions:
I know you’ll love this Coconut Turmeric Rice! It’s super easy to make and can be paired with lots of different things, making it the perfect side dish. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Tools You Might Need:
This post contains affiliate links.
Coconut Turmeric Rice
- 1-2 tsp neutral oil (I used olive oil)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup white basmati rice rinsed and drained
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a nonstick pot, add the oil and adjust to medium heat. Once warm, add the minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in the rice, coconut milk, vegetable broth, turmeric, onion powder, and sea salt. Increase heat and bring to a boil (uncovered).
- Once boiling, reduce to a medium-low heat (simmering) and cover with a lid. Stir frequently to avoid sticking. Let cook for about 15-20 minutes or until all liquid is gone and rice is fluffy.
- Fluff with a fork and garnish with fresh cilantro or parsley (optional). Enjoy!