It’s been quite a while since I’ve had takeout from a Chinese restaurant. I used to get it ALL the time in undergrad. There was a small little Chinese food spot that was within walking distance from campus that I would visit. They were cheap, had a good sanitation score, and quick!
Whenever I was over the campus food, I would hop on over there. Anyways, I was in the mood for some comfort food so I decided to whip up some easy vegan fried rice. It’s super easy to make and seriously reminds me of takeout! Now it’s one of my favorites!
I’ve made fried rice a few times in the past, but this time I decided to go legit. By legit I mean actually using the right oil. In the past, I’ve just used whatever I had on hand (usually olive or vegetable oil). This time I picked up some roasted sesame oil. Y’all, it seriously made ALL the difference. Don’t sleep on sesame oil! Trust me!
On any other day I would have opted to toss in some marinated tofu (like this one). Unfortunately by the time I thought about it it was too late. So as a note, if you have time, I would definitely throw in some tofu.
It’s a great addition and an opportunity for some extra protein and substance! In lieu of the tofu, I decided pair this easy vegan fried rice with some bok choy. I pseudo grilled it in a pan and voila! Dinner is served.
Most people SWEAR by using day old rice for recipes such as this, but I’m here to tell you… Rice cooked a few hours beforehand will work too. Again, I wasn’t thinking too far ahead on this day so I kinda found this out by accident.
I probably made the rice 3-4 hours ahead of time and let it cool on the counter. I stirred it every so often to release as much of the heat as I could.
Hungry yet? Check out the recipe below and whip some of this easy vegan fried rice for dinner! Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Other Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
Easy Vegan Fried Rice
- ¼-½ diced yellow onion
- 1 ½ tsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ cup diced carrots (can also sub with frozen carrots)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2-3 chopped green onions (plus more for garnish)
- 3 cups cooked rice (preferably cooked and chilled 3-4 hours in advance)
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan heat the toasted sesame oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the minced garlic, diced onion and carrots (if using fresh ones).
- Once the carrots have softened, add in the frozen peas (if using frozen carrots, add them in now too) along with the ground ginger. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- One cup at a time, stir in the cooked rice along with the green onions and soy sauce. Once all rice is combined keep stirring until the rice has warmed through.
- Garnish with additional green onions. Serve immediately and enjoy!