Growing up, Black Eyed Peas were a pretty rare occurrence on our dinner table. Occasionally my dad would make them to celebrate the new year, but outside of that you can forget about it. Since I now have my own family, I want to ensure we have traditions so this Southern Black Eyed Peas recipe will be in rotation every year!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Southern Black Eyed Peas:
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- red bell pepper
- vegetable broth
- canned black eyed peas
- garlic powder
- crushed red pepper
- organic cane sugarliquid smoke
How to Cook Black Eyed Peas Without Meat
Incase you were wondering if it’s possible to cook black eyed peas without meat, rest assured it’s totally possible! Making this Southern Black Eyed Peas recipe is pretty simple. I kept things really simple by using canned black eyed peas so I didn’t have to soak them. One less thing for me to do!
To make this recipe you’ll start by gathering all of your ingredients. There’s nothing worse than getting half way through a recipe only to realize that you’re missing something! Prep all of your fresh vegetables by dicing them into small pieces and set them aside. Pop open your canned black eyed peas and drain the liquid out of them, but don’t rinse.
In a medium sized pot over medium heat, add 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Add the diced onions and sauté until the onions are translucent. Next, add the diced red bell peppers and celery. Sauté them for about 2 minutes so that they are soft.
Add in all remaining ingredients– black eyed peas, seasonings, and vegetable broth. Stir to combine everything together and bring to a low boil. Once boiling, reduce to a low simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 30 minutes on low.
Once done cooking, remove from heat and pair these Southern Black Eyed Peas with your favorite sides. Enjoy!
What to Pair with Black Eyed Peas:
Black Eyed Peas are the perfect addition to any southern meal. Here are a few ideas on what to pair them with:
- Easy Vegan Collard Greens
- White Rice
- Spicy Chicken Fried Tofu
- Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- Easy Vegan Mac + Cheese
- Crispy Baked Breaded Tofu
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Cornbread
I know you’ll love these Southern Black Eyed Peas! They’re easy to make and are the perfect addition to your favorite southern meals. Give them a try and let me know what you think of them in the comments below!
Easy Southern Black Eyed Peas (No Meat!) [+VIDEO]
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- ¼ cup celery diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cans black eyed peas (mostly drained- reserve some liquid)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp organic cane sugar
- 1½ tsp liquid smoke
- In a large pot, sauté the diced onions with oil until semi-translucent.1 cup yellow onion, 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Once the onions have been cooked, add in the diced celery and diced red bell pepper. Sauté for about 1-2 minutes along with the onion.¼ cup celery, ½ red bell pepper
- Add in the canned black eyed peas, vegetable broth, all seasonings and liquid smoke.1 cup vegetable broth, 2 cans black eyed peas, 2 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp crushed red pepper, ½ tsp paprika, 1 tsp cumin, ½ tsp salt, black pepper to taste, 1 tsp organic cane sugar, 1½ tsp liquid smoke
- Bring to a low boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 30 minutes on low heat. Stir frequently.
- Serve with rice or meal of your choice. Enjoy!