A few weeks ago I posted a simple Mexican rice recipe paired with re-fried beans. Mexican rice one of my favorite things to make and it makes for a great side! After posting the initial recipe, I wondered if it were possible to make this recipe into more of an entree, something that wouldn’t necessarily have to be a side dish. What goes well with rice? Beans! Black beans are my favorite and they compliment Mexican rice so well. In addition, I added in some of my favorite veggies like corn, green and red peppers, red onion, and cilantro for added flavor.
The first time I made this dish, it was a little underwhelming. I relied on the natural flavors to bring out the right taste, but it just wasn’t quite right. After a little experimenting, I decided that the best way to give this dish the flavor I wanted was to “season at every step.” I heard this phrase in some cooking video I watched recently and decided to implement this technique. I’m so glad it worked! I got the best results when I seasoned the sauteed veggies first (peppers and red onion). Then added in the corn and black beans and added more seasoning to the mix.
My husband had something else in mind for dinner the first time I made this dish, so I had it all to myself. This turned out to be a good thing because had he eaten the bland version the first time, he would have been reluctant to try it this time around. I’m always anxious to get feedback from him on new experiments. However, I’ve learned that the best thing to do is NOT ask what he thinks of the dish. If he likes something, he’ll tell me. If I have to pull a response out of him, he probably won’t be looking for seconds. It sounds easy, but it’s tough! After the first bite, I’m trying my hardest not to stare him down in hopes of a response. I’m a mess, I know.
This recipe tastes great alone, wrapped in a tortilla, or even with tortilla chips. Trust me, you’ll be sneaking back in the kitchen for more. I’m having the leftovers for dinner tonight and I couldn’t be more excited! Try it and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Hungry for more? Follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!
Fancy Mexican Rice
- 1 cup white rice (I used basmati)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 8oz. canned tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn (I used canned)
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 avocado sliced (optional- for serving)
- Add all primary ingredients (except cilantro) to a large sauce pan, cover, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and leave covered. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- While the rice is cooking, begin dicing and preparing secondary ingredients.
- First add the red pepper, green pepper, and the red onion to a separate medium sized pan along with 1/2 tsp of salt and black pepper to taste. Saute until cooked through.
- Add the black beans and corn to the veggie mix along with chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder (add additional salt and pepper as needed). Mix well and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Once all liquid has evaporated with the rice, fluff with a fork, stir in cilantro, and remove from heat then stir in secondary ingredients.
- Serve alone, on a tortilla, or as a side. Enjoy!
Pingback: Easy Vegan Dirty Rice | ICanYouCanVegan How to Make Easy Dirty Rice
Pingback: Easy Seasoned Black Beans | ICanYouCanVegan Seasoned Black Beans Recipe Without Meat
This Rice is the bomb!!! Omg it was so full of flavor and not difficult to make at all! I followed everything to the T except one ingredient, I switched up the veggie stock for better than bouillon vegetarian, which is actually vegan, chicken stock! I used it to make burritos and added some vegan cheese! Do not skip the fresh cilantro either, it takes it up a notch for sure! Total party in your mouth, if the food is that way why eat it?!!