Is it even summer without BBQ Baked Beans? I think not. Although I enjoy baked beans year-round, in my home they’re absolutely essential in the summer. You can pair these vegan BBQ Baked Beans with all of your favorite grilled eats (like these skewers) or take them as a side dish to your best friend’s potluck. Me personally, I’ll cozy up to a small bowl of baked beans on their own. Yep, I love ’em just that much.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Vegan BBQ Baked Beans:
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- Green Bell Pepper
- White Onion
- Minced Garlic
- BBQ sauce
- Liquid Smoke
- Canned Navy Beans
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- Organic Brown Sugar
- Neutral Oil
Growing up, my dad was always in charge of the baked beans. Stealing his recipe was a little difficult because he didn’t really have one. His side of the family was always good in the kitchen. They even ran their own restaurant. I suspect that’s where he learned how and developed a love for cooking.
All I know is that he’d empty a huge can of beans, rinse them off, and start adding in everything else. Peppers, ground beef, brown sugar, and other seasonings I can’t recall. Whatever he put in there was delish!
Things haven’t changed much in regards to my dad’s baked beans. He still makes them pretty frequently and I’m sure they’re still good. One thing that has changed is me. A lot of the time he would put ground beef in the beans, which I no longer eat. I figured it was about time to come up with my own version 🙂
How to Make Vegan BBQ Baked Beans:
Making these Vegan BBQ Baked Beans is super simple. You’ll want to start by gathering all of your ingredients to ensure you have everything you need. There’s nothing worse than starting on a recipe only to realize halfway through that you’re missing something!
Once all of your ingredients have been gathered, start prepping your veggies by dicing them all. This includes the minced garlic, bell peppers and onion.
After you’re done prepping all of the veggies, measure out all of your seasonings, including the BBQ sauce, liquid smoke, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. Set these aside so they’re ready to add to the dish when you need them. Next, preheat your oven.
Now that everything is prepped, we’re ready to get started! Heat a large oven safe pan over medium heat and add a little bit of oil to sauté with. Once the pan is heated, add the garlic, onion and bell peppers. Sauté until the garlic is fragrant and the onions are semi-translucent.
At this stage, you’re ready to add the remaining ingredients. Toss in your navy beans, liquid smoke, BBQ sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, ketchup and a little salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything together until the ingredients are well combined.
Your oven should be finished preheating, so go ahead and add your vegan bbq baked beans to the oven and allow them to cook for 30 minutes. Once done, remove from the oven and allow them to cool for a bit before serving. Pair them with your favorite BBQ favorites and enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Vegan BBQ Baked Beans:
- Customize this recipe to your liking. If you prefer more sweet than tangy, you can always add in a bit more BBQ sauce and less Worcester sauce.
- Use your favorite BBQ sauce. I personally enjoy a sweeter flavored BBQ sauce. It’s important that you choose one that you’re familiar with because the flavor is very present in this recipe.
- Add some vegan crumbles. Want to really kick this dish up a notch? Add some vegan crumbles! It’s a great addition to this recipe, even if it sounds a little funky!
- Add some vegan cheese. Vegan cheese will take this dish to another level! It’s soooo good and a great way to make it taste like my dad’s version!
Are you hungry yet? Go ahead and give these easy vegan bbq baked beans a try. I know you’ll love them! Remember to adjust as you see fit! This is a great way to make the recipe your own. Let me know what you think in the comments below!
What to Pair with Vegan BBQ Baked Beans:
- Classic Southern Vegan Potato Salad
- Easy Vegan BBQ Ribs
- Sweet and Spicy Teriyaki Grilled Tofu
- Spicy Mayo Grilled Corn
- Easy Grilled Vegetable Skewers
- Brown Sugar Grilled Pineapple
Things You Might Need to Make Your Life Easier:
Easy Vegan BBQ Baked Beans [+VIDEO]
- 1 tbsp neutral oil (such as olive or vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 white onion diced
- 2 cans 15 oz. navy beans rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cups BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup vegan Worcestershire sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1 tbsp organic brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- salt+pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large oven safe pan, add your oil and heat the pan to a medium low temperature.
- Once the oil is warmed, add in the minced garlic, diced onion, red bell peppers, and green bell peppers. Sauté until cooked.
- Add the beans and all other remaining ingredients. Stir until combined.
- Transfer your oven safe pan into the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!