Growing up, if there was ever one thing I could count on on a weekly basis it was the fact that at some point chicken and rice was going to be on the menu for dinner. Sometimes the chicken was baked, sometimes it was grilled. However it was prepared, it was always delicious! A meal I looked forward to on the regular. So much so, when I moved out on my own and started cooking for myself in my first apartment in college chicken and rice was my forever go-to! I’m sure my roomies and college boyfriend (now husband) would agree!
I’ve been plant-based for just over three years now and I still love a good bowl of chicken and rice, it just looks a little different these days. You know, without the meat 🙂 For this recipe I wanted to take my love for this meal to the next level with a Vegan Southern Chicken and Rice recipe that’s flavorful, easy to make and delish!
How to Make Vegan Southern Chicken and Rice
Making this dish is so easy! With just a few fresh vegetables, seasonings, rice and plant-based Alpha Chik’n Strips you’ll have dinner ready in no time!
To start, you’ll want to go ahead and prep your onion, celery and fresh parsley (garlic too if you’re using fresh instead of jarred). Next, measure out all of your dry seasonings and place them in a small dish. Doing this ahead of time will help to make the cooking process easy peasy!
Once everything is prepped, you’re ready to start cooking! In a non-stick pot over medium heat, add in a little neutral oil of your choice (I used olive oil) and sauté the minced garlic, onion and celery. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once the onions are semi-translucent and the garlic is fragrant, you’re ready to add in your dry seasonings that have been measured out, rice and vegetable broth. Bring the pot to a boil and cover with a lid.
Once the pot has reached a boil, immediately reduce the heat to a simmer. Keeping the pot boiling will cause the liquid to evaporate much too quickly and the rice will be left uncooked. If by chance you’ve let the pot boil for too long, simply add a few more splashes of vegetable broth as needed.
When you notice that most of the liquid has evaporated (but there’s still some left), add in about 1 cup (or more if you want) of the Alpha Chik’n Strips and stir to combine with the rice. Cover the pot with the lid again until the rice is cooked and the chick’n is warmed through. Garnish with chopped parsley and enjoy! Easy enough, right?!
What to Pair With Vegan Southern Chicken and Rice
I’ll be completely honest… some days I’ll eat this dish completely by itself (along with a few sprinkles of Texas Pete hot sauce). But most days I’ll pair this Vegan Southern Chicken and Rice recipe with some sautéed broccoli or spinach. But if you reaaaally wanna go the extra mile, try pairing it with my Vegan Collard Greens (slow cooker or stovetop)! It’s the PERFECT match!
Other Rice Dishes You’ll Enjoy:
I know you’ll love this Vegan Southern Chicken and Rice recipe! It’s really easy to make, versatile and filling! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
You can find a variety of Alpha products near you, here and a number of drool worthy ready-made meals you can pick-up if you’re on-the-go! Thank you for supporting the brands that support me!
Vegan Southern Chicken and Rice
- neutral oil of choice for sautéing
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup diced celery (small) (1-2 stalks)
- ½ cup diced white onion
- ½ tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- 1 cup white basmati rice (rinsed and drained)
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen Alpha Chik’n Strips
- fresh chopped parsley to taste for garnish (optional)
- In a medium-sized non-stick pot, sauté minced garlic, diced onion and diced celery over medium heat with neutral oil of choice. Sauté until onions are semi translucent and garlic is fragrant. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in all dry seasonings, rice and vegetable broth. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Once the pot has reached a boil, immediately adjust the heat to low so that it can simmer.
- After you've noticed that most of the liquid is gone, stir in the frozen Alpha Chik'n Strips and continue to let simmer until rice is fully cooked and fluffy. If by chance the rice has not finished cooking, add in a few more splashes of vegetable broth as needed and continue to simmer until cooked.
- Once the rice is finished cooking and the Alpha Chik'n Strips have warmed through, remove the pot from the heat. Taste and add additional salt as needed. Plate and garnish with fresh chopped parsley. Enjoy!