Are you a tofu fan? If you hesitated it’s likely because you haven’t had it cooked right! I’m confident that this Vegan Honey Butter Garlic Tofu recipe will help fix that. It’s so easy to make, tastes amazing and it’s the perfect meal to make for when you’re craving a take out style dish.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Vegan Honey Butter Garlic Tofu:
- Extra firm tofu
- neutral oil of choice
- Minced garlic
- Vegan butter
- Apple cider vinegar
- Soy sauce
- chopped green onion (optional)
- rice for serving (optional)
How to Make Vegan Honey Butter Garlic Tofu:
What I love most about this Vegan Honey Butter Garlic Tofu is that it is super simple to make and doesn’t require a lot of extra effort. This recipe instructs you to fry the tofu however, you can totally skip that part and cook the tofu straight out of the package without coating and frying it.
Whether you’re going to fry the tofu or not, you’ll want to start by pressing your tofu. For this recipe I used extra firm tofu which typically means there is not a lot of water to press out, but still some. I used a simple tofu press to remove any excess water before getting started with this recipe.
Once all of the water is removed you’re ready to begin dicing your tofu into 1 inch cubed pieces. If you choose to fry your tofu you’ll want to go ahead and grab your cornstarch and place it in a large mixing bowl and season it with salt and pepper to taste.
Next, toss in your diced tofu and stir everything together in order to coat the tofu in the cornstarch mixture.
Grab a large pan and place just enough oil in it to fry your tofu. You won’t need much, perhaps just 1/2 inch to 1 in of oil in the pan. Turn on the eye to medium heat and once the oil is hot, begin adding the coated tofu to the pan.
Fry the tofu on both sides until each side is lightly browned. Once the tofu is cooked, remove each piece out of the oil and transfer it to a plate lined with paper towels or a cooling rack and set it aside.
In another pan you’re going to make your vegan honey butter garlic tofu sauce. Add a bit of cooking oil to a pan and set the temperature to a medium setting. Add in the garlic and cook until lightly fragrant.
Once fragrant, add in the remaining ingredients– vegan butter, Agave, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar, and soy sauce.
Increase the temperature to medium high until all the ingredients begin to boil. Once boiling reduce the temperature to a medium low setting and stir in the cooked tofu. Use a spoon to stir and coat the tofu in the vegan honey butter garlic tofu sauce until all of the tofu has been well coated.
Once all the tofu is coated, remove from the heat and garnish with freshly chopped green onion and sesame seeds (optional). This part is completely optional but it’s always nice to add if you have it.
I like to serve this Vegan Honey Butter Garlic Tofu dish with my favorite sticky rice and enjoy it 4 dinner on a night when I’m craving take out food.
Can I Make the Tofu in the Air Fryer?
Yes! This vegan honey butter garlic tofu can absolutely be made in the air fryer. To do that you’ll coat the tofu as directed in the cornstarch mixture and instead of adding it to oil on the stove, you’ll place the coated tofu in the basket of your air fryer and spray with a generous amount of oil on both sides.
Cook the tofu in the air fryer for 15 minutes at 400°, then proceed with the rest of the recipe, making the sauce and tossing the tofu in the honey butter garlic mixture.
I know you’ll love this easy vegan honey butter garlic tofu recipe! It’s super easy to make, flavorful and will convince even the people who say they don’t like tofu to give it another chance. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Other Tofu Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Vegan Tofu Quesadillas
- Vegan Chili Garlic Tofu
- Crispy Baked Breaded Tofu
- Spicy Chicken Fried Tofu
- Buffalo Tofu Bites
Tools to Make Your Life Easier:
Sticky Honey Butter Garlic Tofu [+VIDEO]
- 1 package extra firm tofu pressed/drained
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- neutral oil of choice enough for lightly frying + 1 tbsp for sauce
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- ¼ cup agave
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- chopped green onion for garnish (optional)
- sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- rice for serving optional
- Add enough oil to a large pan for frying (about ½ – 1 inch high) and heat to medium temperature.Note: Skip if air-frying
- Dice pressed tofu into 1 inch cubes and transfer to a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add cornstarch to the mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Gently stir so that all tofu pieces are coated.
- Transfer the coated tofu to the pan with oil and cook on both sides until lightly browned then transfer to cooling rack or plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil. Set aside.Note: If air frying, transfer the coated tofu to your air fryer basket and spray with a neutral oil on both sides. Cook at 400° for 15 minutes. Set aside once finished.
- In a separate pan over medium-low heat, begin warming the vegan butter. Once warmed, add in the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in the agave, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar and soy sauce. Now increase the temperature to medium high so that it begins to boil.
- Stir in cooked tofu and coat thoroughly with the sauce. Once combined, remove from heat, garnish with optional fresh green onion and serve.