This post may contain affiliate links.
Since becoming plant-based, I’ve always embraced jackfruit! It’s so versatile and makes for a great meat substitute. In the past I’ve enjoyed jackfruit with tacos, sandwiches, and empanadas! But do you want to know my new favorite? This simple, delicious Sriracha Jackfruit Bowl!
What makes this Sriracha Jackfruit Bowl different from the rest of my jackfruit creations is the way it’s cooked. One of the traits that makes jackfruit unconvincing to most folks is the soft texture. A lot of people expect jackfruit to taste like chicken or pork, and though it may look like meat, it’s still a fruit at the end of the day.
Jackfruit is soft when cooked. Some might even describe it as being a little mushy. Lucky for you, I’ve figured out a solution that helps! I started out separating the jackfruit as usual, trimming the hard parts off and removing the seeds. Then, I transferred the jackfruit to a pan along with some seasonings and cooked it over the stove while continuing to shred it with a fork. Here’s the new part… I then transferred the jackfruit to a baking pan and cooked it in the oven for a bit. Baking the jackfruit helps to dry it out just enough and even crisps up the edges. For me, this made a huge difference in this jackfruit bowl’s taste and texture.
This Sriracha Jackfruit Bowl is perfect for customizing! I kept it simple here with black beans, corn, guac, brown rice, sriracha sauce, and red onions. But you can go crazy with the toppings! If I’d had some red or green peppers on hand, I would have added those too!
Hungry yet? Make this Sriracha Jackfruit Bowl for dinner tonight and you won’t be disappointed! 🙂 Try it out and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Sriracha Jackfruit Bowl
- 2 20 oz. Cans Jackfruit in Brine
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans seasoned to taste
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1-1/2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1-2 tsp sriracha sauce (plus more for topping)
- all other desired add ins (guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, peppers…etc.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Begin by cooking 1 cup of brown rice according to the packaging.
- Drain the water from the 2 cans of jackfruit and begin cutting away the hard parts and seeds from each piece.
- Once complete, transfer all of the trimmed jackfruit chunks to a large pan along with a bit of oil or water for cooking. Add in taco seasoning and 1-2 tsp of sriracha sauce. Stir to combine. and cook over medium heat while beginning to shred the jackfruit with a fork.
- Once the jackfruit has cooked for about 10-15 minutes on the stove, transfer the shredded jackfruit to a baking pan lined with parchment paper and cook for 15 minutes in the oven. Be sure to keep an eye on your rice!
- While the jackfruit is in the oven, begin preparing other ingredients you’d like to add to your bowl. I sauteed my red onions and lightly seasoned my black beans and corn with a bit of taco seasoning.
- Once the jackfruit has finished baking in the oven, begin putting together your bowl. Top with your add ins and drizzle with sriracha sauce. Enjoy!