Jackfruit is one of the newest vegan trends. It’s a fruit that happens to makes a great meat substitute. This fruit is really popular in Asia. While visiting there last summer, I actually had the chance to see them hanging from trees in person! These fruits are HUGE! I wondered how something so heavy could hang from a tree without falling off. If you haven’t seen a jackfruit in person before, try visiting your local Asian market. This Jackfruit Pulled Pork Sandwich is my favorite! I love that it’s so easy to make and that it’s perfect for meal-prep! Above all, it’s delicious! The vegan ranch sauce is the perfect addition to this sandwich. It’s a true winner! To cut down on prep time, you could purchase a store-bought version. However, making your own takes no time at all!
To make the vegan ranch, you just need five simple ingredients. Most of which you probably already have. After combining all of the ingredients together, you’re done! Tastes just like the real thing! For this sandwich, I like to get fancy and top it with a bit of sliced avocado and tomato. Oh, and be generous with the ranch. You won’t regret it! The combination of BBQ sauce and ranch pair very well together! 🙂
Since originally posting this recipe, I’ve edited it a bit to make it less complicated and easier to make. My life goal! I promise this Jackfruit Pulled Pork Sandwich is super easy to put together! If this is your first time trying jackfruit, you’ll wonder why you hadn’t made it before. My carnivore husband loves it just as much as I do! Pulled jackfruit sandwiches are one of those meals that he requests often. Needless to say, he was pleasantly surprised when I made this dish. He usually opts for coleslaw on top (a more traditional version) however, this time he tried it with the avocado and tomato. Loved it! I love avocado on just about anything, so this was a no-brainer for me.
I’m sure by now you’re probably just as hungry as I am. Lucky for me, I’ve got one of these waiting for me in the fridge 🙂 Go ahead and get in the kitchen to whip one of these up! I promise you won’t regret it! Let me know what you think in the comments below!
This post, photos, and recipe was updated on 7/11/19.
Jackfruit Pulled Pork Sandwich
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 20 oz. Cans young green jackfruit in brine or water
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Liquid smoke
- 2 tsp Brown sugar
- 1 pinch Red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp neutral oil
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- Salt/ pepper to taste
- 4 burger buns
- sliced avocado for topping (optional)
- sliced tomato for topping (optional)
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Remove the seeds from each piece and set aside.
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the diced onion for about 3 minutes or until it becomes translucent. Next, add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Once the onion and garlic are cooked, add in the jackfruit. Shred with a fork until it resembles pulled pork. Add in all remaining seasonings.
- Add the BBQ sauce and liquid smoke. Reduce to a medium low heat and stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- While the jackfruit is sitting, combine the ingredients to make the vegan ranch sauce in a small bowl.
- Pull together your choice of toppings for your sandwich, plate the jackfruit with your burger buns and enjoy!