There is nothing I love more than a dish with cashews and raisins. I don’t know what it is about the combination, but I’m OBSESSED! Add pineapples to the mix and I’m absolutely over the moon! So if you’re anything like me, you’ll love this Quinoa Pineapple Fried Rice!
Last summer during my two month trip abroad, we visited Thailand and I couldn’t get enough of their Pineapple Fried Rice! I literally ate it for every other meal. Though this dish is usually made with fish sauce and/or oyster sauce and eggs, it still tastes great without it! Pro Tip: If you’re ever in Thailand, you can totally request for your food to be made without. I would recommend using Google Translate to have it written in Thai, so you don’t have to worry about a miscommunication when you’re at the restaurant.
View this post on Instagram
Y’all, I’ve been veganizing dishes left and right in Phuket (like this pineapple fried rice)! 😂 . I’ve learned that most everything here involves fish sauce, oyster sauce, and eggs so I’ve requested my food to be made without it. . As most people here speak Thai, I’ve got a photo via google translate saved on my phone that lists what I don’t eat (in Thai), just to be on the safe side. Vegetarianism is very popular here, but vegan? Not so much! . www.icanyoucanvegan.com
I’ve made Pineapple Fried Rice before, but this time I wanted to try something a little different and swap the rice for quinoa. I think quinoa is an underrated grain that doesn’t get as much love as it should. Quinoa is super versatile and is a great substitute for rice. Compared to brown rice, it’s got more protein, fiber, and iron.
This Quinoa Pineapple Fried Rice was super easy to make. The hardest part was probably just cutting up the veggies. If you want to make your life a little easier, you could make the quinoa in advance. You could even prep the veggies in advance too. I customized this dish by tossing in some marinated tofu that I cooked on the stove, but it’s completely optional. This meal is perfect with or without it.
If you’re into meal prepping, this Quinoa Pineapple Fried Rice is perfect for that too. It keeps well in the fridge. I ate this on and off last week and enjoyed every bite 🙂 Hungry yet? Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below. I’d love to know what you think!
Quinoa Pineapple Fried Rice
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tsp coconut aminos (plus more if needed)
- 3/4 cup diced red onions
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits (I used canned pineapples)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions plus more for garnish
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
- salt+pepper to taste
- marinated diced tofu (optional)
- Begin by cooking your quinoa according to the instructions on the packaging.
- In a large pan, add 2 tsp of coconut aminos over medium heat and begin to saute the onions, garlic, ginger, and carrots. Saute for about 10 minutes or until carrots are tender. Add salt+pepper to taste.
- Add in the pineapple and red pepper flakes and combine with the other ingredients.
- By now, your quinoa should be finished cooking. Add the cooked quinoa to the pan with the rest of the ingredients, along with the cashews, raisins, green onions, and soy sauce. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Add additional salt if needed.
- Garnish with additional green onion to taste. Enjoy!