Is there anything jackfruit can’t be used for? The versatility of this fruit is giving me LIFE! I’ve been on a tostada kick lately (more on that to come) and had some tostada shells leftover from another recipe. When I’m planning my meals for the week, I usually try to play off ingredients I already have on hand. I spent some time thinking about different tostada variations that might be fun to try. That’s when I decided on these tasty BBQ Jackfruit Tostadas!
A lot of the tostada recipes that I’ve seen online had some kind of meat component, so I decided to try and veganize it with the help of jackfruit. It’s been a while since I’ve made a BBQ Jackfruit dish, so this was right on time!
What I love about tostadas is that they’re so easy to customize! I kept it pretty simple here, but you could saute the peppers and onions, swap the diced avocado for guacamole, or even top it with salsa! The options are endless. I think these would be great to prepare for a dinner party or gathering. They look fancy, but they’re so easy to make!
To make these BBQ Jackfruit Tostadas, I implemented the same technique from when I made my Sriracha Jackfruit Bowl and baked them for a bit to give the jackfruit more texture. Sure, this adds a bit more time to the overall process, but I think it’s definitely worth it. I love the little crispy bits that form at the ends! It reminds me of my pre-vegan days (but better)! While the jackfruit is cooking in the oven, I always use that time to prep the other add-ins like mashing the black beans or cutting up the other veggies. Already prepped? Start washing the dishes!
Y’all, I completely devoured these BBQ Jackfruit Tostadas! They were so simple, but SO good! You don’t even have to prepare a side-dish because everything is on the tostadas already! After two of these I was done! Hungry yet? Hop on in the kitchen and give these a try yourself. Let me know what you think in the comments below! I’d love to know your thoughts!
BBQ Jackfruit Tostadas
- 2 20 oz. cans jackfruit in brine (drained and hard parts removed)
- 4 tostada shells
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/3-1/4 cup BBQ Sauce of your choice
- diced red onion to taste
- 1 avocado diced
- diced tomato to taste
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Begin by trimming each piece of jackfruit, removing the hard parts and place them in a medium sized pan.
- Once all chunks of jackfruit have been trimmed. Place them on the stove over a low-medium heat with a few drops or oil (or water) to cook them. Use the back of a fork to shred the jackfruit while it’s cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the jackfruit has finished cooking, place it on a baking pan lined with parchment paper, creating an even layer. Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- While the jackfruit is cooking, begin prepping the add-ons like the corn, cilantro, tomatoes, onions and avocados.
- Rinse and drain the canned black beans. Place them in a medium-sized bowl and use a potato masher (or the back of a fork/spoon) to mash them. If the mixture begins to crumble, splash it with a few drops of vegetable broth to bind it together.
- Once the jackfruit has finished cooking, remove it from the oven and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Pour BBQ sauce of your choice over the jackfruit and combine until all pieces are coated.
- Start building your tostadas beginning with the mashed black beans, jackfruit, then veggies. Garnish with Cilantro. Enjoy!