In my pre-vegan days, one of my favorite things to eat out was Chinese food. In college I frequented this spot right outside campus. They always gave generous portions and threw in some tasty spring rolls.
When I graduated and moved to Charlotte, I was lucky enough to have a similar place within walking distance of my apartment. They too offered generous portions and provided me with a quick and easy option when I wasn’t in the mood to cook.
Pretty much anywhere you go, you can find a bomb spot for Chinese food. As a vegan, this has become a little trickier. Not everyone does tofu justice. Not all tofu is created equal. Once upon a time ago I went out to this restaurant and they served me the softest tofu you could imagine after I requested extra firm. Yikes. I pushed it aside on my plate and enjoyed the vegetables and rice.
How to Make this Vegan Orange Tofu Recipe:
Needless to say, I’ve been missing a good plate of Chinese food. Clearly the only solution was to make it myself! This orange tofu is definitely a winner y’all and I can’t wait to make it again! If you have a preference for how you like your tofu cooked, you definitely have the flexibility here to make it however you like.
You could pan sear it with a little oil, you could toss it in the oven for a few minutes, or you could air fry it with a little cornstarch like I did. The choice is yours! If you really wanna cut down on the cooking time, you could also prep your tofu in advance so you only have to make the sauce and whatever other sides you want (like veggies+rice).
The sauce for the orange tofu is super easy to throw together and you likely have most if not all of the ingredients already. I didn’t have any OJ, but I did have oranges so I decided to squeeze them by hand in order to get the 1/4 cup of juice. About two oranges later, I had what I needed. Next time I’ll definitely be taking the easy way out and buying OJ instead!
Try this recipe out and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Other Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp oil (like vegetable or sesame oil)
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water+2 tbsp cornstarch mixed together
- Drain or press tofu then cut into small cubes. Cook according to your preference (baked, pan seared, or air fried)
- While the tofu is cooking, begin cooking your rice and vegetables (if you so choose).
- Once your rice and veggies have started cooking, begin putting together the sauce ingredients in a large pan.
- On medium heat, start by adding the oil, then sauté the minced garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Stir frequently.
- Add in both sugars until combined, then add in the orange juice, vinegar, and soy sauce. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Next, add the cornstarch and water mixture and stir to combine. Continue stirring until a syrup-like mixture is formed.
- Once your tofu is done cooking, toss it in the sauce until each piece is coated.
- Plate the orange tofu with your veggies and rice. Enjoy!