This post was sponsored by the wonderful people over at Good Karma!
Y’ALL. Prepare for the most epic cake EVER. I’m not hyping you up. This Vegan Blueberry Lemon Sour Cream Cake is like tasting a little slice of heaven. It’s one of those cakes where you can’t just have one bite. It just won’t do. It’s one of those cakes you’ll be fussing over after it mysteriously disappears in less than 24 hours. Yes, this actually happened.
A few weeks ago, I made this delicious vegan blueberry lemon sour cream cake. I’m a generous person (typically) and a wonderful daughter, so I invited my dad over for a slice. When he dropped by I wasn’t there. Just my husband. No biggie– happens all the time. I told him he was welcomed to “a slice of cake.” Just one slice.
Later that day, I came home anticipating a slice of this cake. I had been dreaming about it all day. It was to the point where I could almost taste it in my mouth. I walked into the kitchen and immediately noticed that the dish the cake was in was now in the sink. Because my husband didn’t know that my dad had only been offered a slice, him taking the half that was left wasn’t alarming. Well, it was to me. *sigh*
The worst part was, I had used the last of one of the main ingredients. The new vegan Sour Cream from Good Karma. It really MADE this cake! If you haven’t heard by now, Good Karma recently debuted a new line of plant-based Sour Cream and Dips that are actually lower in fat, sodium, and calories than other plant and dairy-based options. It also contains live and active cultures to give it a more authentic taste. Got allergies? This Sour Cream is not only vegan friendly, but allergy friendly as well! Not to mention, it’s great for baking.
This Vegan Blueberry Lemon Sour Cream Cake is definitely one you’ll want to share with friends… but if you’re gonna do that, I would make two. One to share and one to keep all to yourself (so you don’t have a situation like I did above). If you’re wondering where you can find this new vegan Sour Cream from Good Karma, you can pick it up at your local Sprouts nationwide (store locator here).
Hungry yet? Get in the kitchen and whip one of these up! Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Blueberry+Lemon Sour Cream Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (tossed in 1 tbsp flour)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter
- 3/4 cup Good Karma Sour Cream
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2-1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp lemon zest for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the baking powder, flour, and salt. Set aside.
- Using a standing mixer, combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Once the mixture is fluffy, add in the Good Karma Sour Cream and vanilla extract. Continue to mix until combined.
- A little at a time, begin adding in the lemon juice, vegetable oil, and lemon zest. Then gradually add in the dry mix with the other ingredients until just combined. Careful not to over-mix!Note: Batter will be thick!
- In a small bowl, toss blueberries in 1 tbsp of flour until each of them are coated (this will keep the berries from sinking to the bottom of the cake). Gently fold them into the cake batter.
- Transfer the mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper (this will make removing the cake effortless) and place in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean once inserted in the middle and the cake is golden brown.
- While the cake is baking, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until combined to make the glaze. Set aside.Note: sifting the powdered sugar will help ensure the icing is smooth.
- Once the cake has finished baking, remove from the oven. Use the parchment paper to pull the cake out of the loaf pan and let cool for 1-2 hours before drizzling the lemon glaze over the cake. Garnish with additional lemon zest and enjoy!