CALLING ALL POTATO LOVERS! Wait… isn’t that everyone? Y’all, these crispy smashed potatoes are my new favorites. A very close contender to my other favorite potato dish. These potatoes are so simple to put together and are seasoned with a few simple ingredients for a delicious flavor.
Making these potatoes is almost effortless. To start, you’ll need to bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once the water has started bubbling, add in your potatoes. Because potatoes are so dense, they take a little while to cook. Mine were ready in about 30 minutes or so. After the potatoes are done cooking, it’s time for my favorite part… SMASHIN’ ‘EM! This can be easily achieved by using a potato masher. However, if you don’t have one you could use the bottom of a drinking glass, or the back of a fork depending on how big your potatoes are.
Seasoning these potatoes is really simple. It only requires vegan butter, garlic powder, thyme, and the dynamic duo: salt and pepper. Just 5, that’s it! Once you mix all of these together, all that’s left to do is spread it over the potatoes. Baking the potatoes only takes about 20 minutes. Once they’ve browned, let them broil for 5 minutes to get them nice and crispy. After that, let them cool for a few minutes and eat them immediately!
These crispy smashed potatoes are best when served fresh. Sadly, they turn mediocre the next day. If you try meal-prepping them, they’ll just taste like a baked potato. Not the worst thing in the world, but incomparable to the smashed potatoes fresh out of the oven. Do yourself a favor and try making these tonight! You won’t regret it. When you do, comment below and let me know how it goes!
What to Pair with Crispy Smashed Potatoes:
- Crispy Baked Breaded Tofu
- Black-Eyed Pea Fritters
- Easy Vegan Jalapeño Cornbread Muffins
- Spicy Cauliflower Wings + Maple Glaze
- Southern Black-Eyed Peas
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (melted)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp thyme
- salt+pepper to taste
- chives for garnish optional
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add in the potatoes and cook until fork tender (should slip off when poked with a fork).
- While the potatoes are boiling, preheat oven to 425° and prepare the seasoning mixture, mixing together the butter and seasonings.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking, transfer them to a baking sheet, spacing them to have enough distance between each other when smashed.
- Using a potato masher, mash each of the potatoes. Using a brush, season each of them with the butter mixture. Place them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- For the last 5 minutes, increase the oven temperature to 525° and broil.
- Once finished cooking, let them cool for a few minutes and enjoy immediately!