In my pre-vegan days, one of my guilty pleasures was a good chicken biscuit! I’d pull up at the drive-thru and order the usual: chicken biscuit, seasoned fries, and a sweet tea. It’s so cool to be able to enjoy the same meal in a different way these days. I love that Alpha Foods offers a selection of vegan “meats” that give you that same taste you once knew! Instead of a normal-sized chicken biscuit, I decided to create a mini version because minis are always more fun (and cute too)! Trust me, you’re gonna love these Mini Vegan Chicken Biscuits!
For the past few weekends I’ve been perfecting my mini biscuit game. Testing out different techniques to make them perfectly soft and fluffy. If you’ve been following my Instagram stories, you’ve seen more than a few renditions of these biscuits! I did a few tests with layers, but decided to go with a plain fluffy version. They’re easy to make, plus they don’t require additional kneading or manipulating.
Making the Biscuits
I’ve been jokingly calling these “blender biscuits” because believe it or not, that’s what I’ve been using to make them! My food processor bowl went on the fritz a few months ago, so this led me to wonder whether or not I could achieve similar results using the blender instead. To my surprise, I was right! Using a blender makes making these biscuits that much easier. I simply mixed the dry ingredients together, then added in the vegan butter. I used the pulse setting to ensure I didn’t overdo it. Over-mixing can be the detriment of your biscuits so try to avoid that at all costs! In addition, using the blender allowed me to be able to slowly mix in the vegan buttermilk. I poured a little, then pulsed, poured, then pulsed. This would have for sure been a little more challenging if I were doing it all by hand.
I used the blender to mix the ingredients together until most of the dough was just combined. When I finished, there were still a few corners with dry ingredients in them but this was okay. I removed the dough from the blender and transferred it to a lightly floured surface. I then gently worked the remaining dry ingredients from the blender in by hand. It’s important to be gentle when handling the dough because if you don’t, it might cost you that nice soft textured you’re craving.
To cut the biscuits, you could use the brim of a drinking glass or small bowl (like I usually do). However, I got these perfectly sized mini biscuits using an inexpensive 2-inch biscuit cutter I purchased from Amazon. The 2-inch cutter made these biscuits the perfect size to snuggle your crispy little Alpha Nuggets between. 🙂
One of my favorite parts about this recipe is that both the Alpha Nuggets and the biscuits can be made on the same pan, baking temperature, and time! So no need to dirty up two different pans in order to make these minis. I know you’re drooling already, so go ahead and get in the kitchen to make these Mini Vegan Chicken Biscuits! They’re easy to make and fun to eat!
This post was sponsored by the wonderful people over at Alpha Foods! You can find a variety of Alpha products near you, here and a number of drool worthy ready-made meals you can pick-up if you’re on-the-go! Thank you for supporting the brands that support me!
Vegan Mini Chicken Biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 450°
- Combine the almond milk and apple cider vinegar together (to make vegan buttermilk) and place in the refrigerator.
- Add the dry ingredients to your blender and pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the vegan butter to the mixture and pulse until the mixture is crumbly.
- Remove the buttermilk mixture from the refrigerator and slowly combine it with the rest of the ingredients. Rotate between adding the liquid and pulsing a few times until the dough is formed.
- Carefully remove the dough from the blender and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Gently spread the dough until it is ¾-1 inch thick.
- Use a biscuit cutter (I used a 2-inch cutter) to cut out the biscuits. Avoid twisting the cutter.
- Transfer the cut biscuits to a baking sheet along with your Alpha Chik'n Nuggets.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450°, then broil (525°) for about 2 minutes or until the biscuits are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let the biscuits cool for a few minutes before slicing them. Top with additional melted vegan butter.
- Once cool, form your Mini Chicken Biscuits and enjoy!
- Twisting the biscuit cutter could keep the dough from rising properly.
- For the best results, use chilled ingredients (vegan butter, almond milk…etc.). They perform better in baking.
- Be sure to keep an eye on the biscuits during the broiling time. They could brown very quickly!