I’ve seen a million memes on Instagram joking about how people should avoid trying new stuff on holidays like Thanksgiving. Here’s my unpopular opinion- you should definitely try new recipes on Thanksgiving! After all, family traditions have to start somewhere, right? If you love pie, you have got to try this Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie recipe!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
- Fresh sweet potatoes
- egg replacer
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cinnamon
- All spice
- Organic cane sugar
- Organic brown sugar
- Vegan butter
- Unsweetened almond milk
- Vanilla extract
- All purpose white flour
- Organic powdered sugar
How to Make Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
Making this Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie is not as intimidating as what you might think. To start, gather all of your ingredients. There’s nothing worse than starting a recipe only to realize halfway through that you don’t have everything you need.
Once all of your ingredients have been gathered go ahead and preheat your oven to 425°. Grab a baking sheet and line it with either foil or parchment paper. Place your sweet potatoes on top and poke several holes into each sweet potato. Transfer them to the oven and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the sweet potatoes are soft and tender.
While the sweet potatoes are baking you can start making your pie crust. Round up all of the ingredients you’ll need for the pie crust along with a high speed blender, food processor, or prepare to make the pie crust by hand in a large bowl.
How to Make Pie Crust in a Food Processor or High Speed Blender
If you decide to use a high speed blender or food processor to make the crust for this Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie you’ll want to add all the dry ingredients– flour, powdered sugar, and salt to the blender or food processor along with the vegan butter (cut into small pats). Pulse in the machine until the mixture appears crumbly.
Next, you’re ready to bind the ingredients together with ice cold water. Slowly add in the cold water while pulsing just until the dough has formed. It’s important to do this slowly so that you don’t add too much water and end up with a ball of dough that is too wet.
If by chance you do add too much water, don’t worry. You can always add a little bit more flour at a time until you get the consistency you need. The end result should be a ball of dough that is not sticky, but soft.
How to Make Pie Crust by Hand
If you’re making this in a bowl, add all of the dry ingredients, then whisk them together. Cut the cold vegan butter into small cubes, then add them to the bowl with your dry ingredients.
Use the back of a fork to work the vegan butter into the mixture until it appears crumbly. Slowly add in the water and continue mixing with a fork and your hands until the mixture is able to be formed into a ball.
On a clean surface that has been lightly floured, roll out your pie crust using a rolling pin. Roll the dough in all directions until it’s about 1/4 of an inch thick. If the edges look jagged, it’s okay.
Grab your pie dish and lightly greased it with additional vegan butter or neutral oil in order to prevent the pie dough from sticking. Transfer the rolled out pie crust from the counter to the oiled pie dish and gently press down on the center so that the dough sits neatly in the dish.
Use your kitchen shears in order to cut away any excess dough that is hanging over the edges of the dish and set it aside. Pinch the edges of the pie crust however you prefer to create a design ( or leave them flat) and transfer the pie crust to the fridge until it’s needed.
Once your sweet potatoes are finished baking, slice open each of the sweet potatoes lengthwise and use a spoon to remove the meat of each sweetpotato until you have three cups full.
Transfer the 3 cups of sweet potato to a large mixing bowl or standing mixer along with the remaining pie filling ingredients. Combine everything together until the mixture is mostly smooth.
Transfer the pie filling into the pie dish with the crust and bake your Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie in the oven at 350° for 1 hour and 15 – 30 minutes. It’s important to note that once the pie is done, if you insert a toothpick it will not come out completely clean. As long as it’s mostly clean, you should be good to go.
Once this Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie is finished cooking, remove it from the oven and let it cool until it reaches room temperature. Cover the dish with foil or plastic wrap so that it can continue to sit in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
When you’re ready to serve this Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie, slice it and top with coconut whip and a few sprinkles of nutmeg as a garnish. Serve and prepare to wow your friends and family!
Can I make this Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie ahead of time?
You can absolutely make this Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie ahead of time. Actually, it’s probably best that you do. Follow the recipe as is in the recipe card below and after the sweet potato pie reaches room temperature, transfer it to the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat it.
Can I Use Stour Bought Pie Crust?
Yes! You can use pre-made pie crust if you are short on time. Most store-bought pie crusts are shallow, so you will likely end up with enough filling for two pies. You may need to adjust the cooking time slightly but most likely it will still need to cook for at least 1 hour.
Can I Use Something Else Instead of Almond Milk?
Yes, if you have allergies or just don’t have any almond milk on hand you can swap for another plant milk of your choice like oat milk, or soy milk.
My Pie Crust Dough is Too Wet. How Can I Fix it?
If you’ve added a little too much water to your pie crust mixture, it’s okay! Sprinkle a little bit of flour over the dough and work it in a little at a time until your dough is soft and no longer sticky.
I know you’ll love this easy vegan sweet potato pie recipe! it’s simple to make and is sure to be a hit for your holiday meals this season. Give this recipe a try and let me know how it goes in the comments below!
Other Sweet Potato Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato and Spinach Thai Curry
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Candied Yams
Need more holiday recipes? Check out this Easy Vegan Holiday Recipe Roundup!
Tools You Might Need to Make Your Life Easier:
Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Pie [+VIDEO]
- 3 cups sweet potatoes cooked and skin removed
- 2 vegan eggs (could use egg replacer or flax eggs- 2 tbsp ground flax seed meal + 5 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-3 pinches all spice
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- ½ cup organic brown sugar
- 7 tbsp vegan butter melted
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- On a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper, place the sweet potatoes and poke plenty of holes in them with a fork. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, make your pie crust.Option 1: In a high-speed blender or food processor, pulse the dry ingredients for the pie crust with the vegan butter until crumbly. Slowly add in the cold water just until a dough has formed.2 cups all purpose white flour, 3 tsp organic powdered sugar, 1 pinch salt, ¾ cup vegan butter, 8 tbsp ice cold water
- Option 2: Add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl, then whisk them together. Cut the cold vegan butter into small cubes, then add them to the bowl with your dry ingredients. Use the back of a fork to work the vegan butter into the mixture until it appears crumbly. Slowly add in the water and continue mixing with a fork and your hands until the mixture is able to be formed into a ball.2 cups all purpose white flour, 3 tsp organic powdered sugar, 1 pinch salt, ¾ cup vegan butter, 8 tbsp ice cold water
- Transfer the dough to a clean, workspace covered with a few sprinkles of flour, then use a rolling pin to roll out the dough in all directions until it's about ¼ of an inch thick. The edges will look jagged, but it's okay.
- Grab your pie dish and lightly grease it with butter to prevent it from sticking.
- Transfer the rolled out pie crust from the counter to the buttered pie dish and gently press down the center so that the dough sits neatly in the dish.
- Using kitchen shears, cut away the excess dough that is hanging over the edges of the dish. Pinch the edges of the pie crust however you'd prefer to create a design, then transfer the pie crust to the fridge until needed.
- Once the sweet potatoes are finished baking, remove the skin from them and measure out 3 cups of cooked sweet potatoes.3 cups sweet potatoes
- Adjust oven temperature to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl combine the ingredients for the pie filling and mix together using a standing mixer or hand mixer until mostly smooth.2 vegan eggs, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 2-3 pinches all spice, ½ cup organic cane sugar, ½ cup organic brown sugar, 7 tbsp vegan butter, ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Once all ingredients have been combined, add the filling to the pie dish with the crust.
- Transfer the pie to the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15-30 minutes. When finished, the outer edge of the sweet potato filling should be browned and if a toothpick is inserted it should come out mostly clean.
- Once the pie is finished cooking, remove from the oven and let cool until room temperature. Cover, then move to the fridge until chilled and ready to serve.
- Slice and top with coconut whip (optional) and garnish with a few sprinkles of nutmeg (optional), or serve as is. Enjoy!