If you haven’t noticed by now, I LOVE breakfast food and it’s one of my favorite things to make! I recently purchased a waffle maker from Amazon and was so excited to use it! I’ll admit, the first time was an epic fail. I recently came up with a super tasty pancake recipe and I was hoping that it could also be used for waffles… WRONG! I learned the hard way that great pancake recipes do not always make for great waffles. Weird, right? All that meant was I needed to figure out a way to make a recipe for waffles, that was just as good as the pancakes.
I’m happy to share that I’ve created a winner! These waffles are fluffy, perfectly sweetened and ideal for weekend brunching. I’m already looking forward to making these again with different combinations of toppings. The strawberry/banana combination was a great start, but I’m thinking a berry mix next. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries… I can see it now… 🙂
How to Make Vegan Buttermilk Waffles:
What I love most about this recipe is that it comes together really quick. Dry ingredients in one bowl, wet ingredients in the next, mix the two together and you’ve got your waffle mix. The ingredients are common and I bet you probably already have them on hand. Know what makes this recipe even better? The batter is perfect for freezing! If you’ve got some extra batter leftover that you want to save for another time, go ahead and pop it in the freezer and take them out the night before you plan to use it.
So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and give them a shot and let me know what you think!
Other Breakfast Ideas You’ll Enjoy:
- Whole Wheat Vegan Pancakes
- Tofu Scramble Breakfast Sandwich
- Mini Vegan Chicken Biscuits
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Tools You Might Need:
Hungry for more? Follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!
Vegan Buttermilk Waffles
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp melted vegan butter (I used earth balance)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- whatever toppings you’d like!
- Preheat waffle maker and spray with coconut oil or spread with additional vegan butter
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients
- In a small/medium bowl mix together the wet ingredients, then transfer to the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until just combined
- Using a measuring cup or ladle, transfer the mixture to your preheated waffle iron. The amount necessary will depend on your particular machine
- Repeat until all batter is used and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
These waffles were so good! Fluffy with a slight crunch on the surface as they cool. Exactly how I love my waffles. I made a large batch with fried apples and the combo was perfection. The non-vegan hubby even approved! Stored the leftovers in the freezer separated by parchment paper for quick breakfast during the week.
Mary, so glad you like them! They’re my favorite! 💕
Easy and delicious! Best vegan waffles I’ve ever made. Soft on the inside, little crispy once they cool a bit and they didn’t stick to my maker like other vegan recipes have done. Thank you!
Hi, can the apple sauce be substituted with vegan egg replacement?
Hey Reachel, I haven’t tried an egg substitute yet, but I would think it would work. If you try it please come back and let us know how it goes!