Soup has never been one of my go-to meals, but I’m making an effort to try to incorporate them into my life more often. I love how versatile they are and I’ve been on a lentil kick lately, so I figured why not make a soup with them?! This lentil+sweet potato soup will definitely be one of my favorites going forward. I ate this throughout an entire week (not every day, but at least 5-6 times) and looked forward to it every time!
What makes this lentil+sweet potato soup unique is what I call a “surprise” ingredient. Have a look at the ingredients below and see if you can spot it for yourself! If you guessed cinnamon, you’re right! Cinnamon is one of those spices that we typically associate with sweeter meals, not savory dishes like this lentil+sweet potato soup. I know, I know… it sounds a little weird, but you’re here because you trust me, right? I would never lead you astray when it comes to food! This is one of those meals where you just have to taste and see.
Putting together this lentil+sweet potato soup takes no time at all. The hardest part is probably just giving it time to cook as the smell of this tasty soup fills your home. It’s important to give the flavors time to come together. After giving the soup time to cook, I added in some fresh spinach. I think kale might work well here too (haven’t tried it, just guessing). Spinach has always been one of my go-to vegetables, so I add it in wherever I can!
Interested in trying this lentil+sweet potato soup? Give it a try! I’d love to know your thoughts on adding in the cinnamon for such a savory dish. Let me know how it goes in the comments below!
Lentil+Sweet Potato Soup
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5oz)
- 2 medium sized carrots diced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 bag 6oz. spinach
- 3 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- parsley for garnish
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a large pot, add a few tablespoons of water or oil over medium heat. Add in the diced onion and garlic. Saute until onion is translucent.
- Add in all spices and continue to saute, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add in vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, carrots, lentils, and sweet potatoes. Stir until combined and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Let sit for 30-45minutes.
- Once done cooking, stir in the spinach until wilted.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!