Can I tell you a secret? Growing up I never cared for cabbage. My parents didn’t really make it often and when I did have it, I thought it was underwhelming. Well folks, things have changed! After making this Easy Vegan Southern Beef and Cabbage with Alpha Foods Beefy Crumble, I’ll definitely be making this recipe and experimenting with cabbage more often! What should I make next?
How to Make Vegan Southern Beef and Cabbage
Making this vegan Southern Beef and Cabbage recipe is really easy and it comes together really quickly! You’ll want to start first by prepping the cabbage. For this recipe, I only used half of a medium head of cabbage, but if you really love cabbage, feel free to double the recipe for more!
The way in which you cut up the cabbage is completely up to you. I cut my head of cabbage in half, then laid it flat side down, proceeded to cut long vertical strips, and then cut those strips in half. I went with smaller pieces (almost shredded) to help cut down on the cooking time. Alternatively you can opt for larger pieces.
Once your cabbage is cut, I always find it easiest to measure out all of the dry seasonings next. This way they can all be added at one time. Doing this makes the cooking process muuuuuch smoother!
To start the cooking process, heat a large pan on the stove with oil until it’s warm. Once it’s heated, sauté your minced garlic for a bit until it’s fragrant. Once it’s fragrant, add in a few splashes of vegetable broth along with your chopped cabbage and sautée for a bit until it’s cooked down a little. Now, add in your dry seasonings, liquid smoke and Beefy Alpha Crumble! This is the secret ingredient that will make even your omni friends think twice about whether they’re eating a vegan meal or not! Now that everything is in the pan, continue to sauté until everything is cooked through. This won’t take long at all, so be sure to keep an eye on it and stir frequently in order to make sure that everything is cooked through.
What to pair with Vegan Southern Beef and Cabbage
I’ve definitely eaten a bowl or two of this vegan southern beef and cabbage on its own, but you could also serve it on a bed of mashed potatoes or rice of your choice. Whichever you choose, you can’t go wrong! Oh, and I also like to top mine with a little Texas Pete! Soooo good!
I know you’ll love this recipe! It’s so easy to make and it will have all of your omni friends wondering if they’re eating real beef or not all because of Alpha Foods! Give them a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
You can find a variety of Alpha products near you, here and a number of drool worthy ready-made meals you can pick-up if you’re on-the-go! Thank you for supporting the brands that support me!
Easy Vegan Southern Beef and Cabbage
- 1-2 tbsp neutral oil of choice (I used olive oil)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ head of cabbage chopped into desired size pieces
- 1 bag Beefy Alpha Crumble
- a few splashes of vegetable broth to sauté cabbage with
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp liquid smoke
- red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Heat a large sauté pan or skillet, over medium heat with neutral oil of choice.
- Once warm, add the minced garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the chopped cabbage along with a few splashes of vegetable broth and sauté for a few minutes until slightly cooked down.
- Next, add in the Beefy Alpha Crumble, dry seasonings and liquid smoke. Combine all of the ingredients together and continue stirring frequently until all of the cabbage is cooked to your liking and the crumble is cooked through.
- Serve alone or pair with rice or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!