It’s cold outside and you know what that means… it’s CHILI SEASON! To be quite honest, chili season is year-round in my house. But when the temperature drops it always seems to taste a little better. Here in N.C. it went from 70 degree weather to a highs in the 30’s, so winter is definitely here!
I’ve made chili before, but this time I wanted to do something different. Plus, simplify this recipe as much as I could without compromising the flavor. Growing up, one meal that seemed to be in constant rotation was my dad’s chili. He’s not one for following recipes, so it tasted slightly different every time. But one thing’s for sure– it was always GOOD! For this post I wanted to create my own version of his recipe. No fancy instant pots or slow cookers, just using a big ol’ pot on the stove.
My dad’s chili always had beef in it and this recipe is no different. Instead of using the real-deal, I went with the new plant-based Beefy Crumble from Alpha Foods . I used them in my Jamaican Beef Patties recipe and they were a HIT! So much so, my dad requested that I make them for his birthday dinner. I happily whipped them up!
Making this Beefy Vegan Chili
To make this Beefy Vegan Chili, you’ll just need just 12 ingredients! A lot of them are seasonings you probably already have at home. Even the novice cook could pull this recipe off! This Beefy Vegan Chili doesn’t involve any tricky techniques or require special skills. Once the garlic and onions are sauteed, you simply add everything else, combine the ingredients, and let it simmer. Sounds easy enough right?
Once the chili is done simmering, the only thing left to do is figure out what you’ll top it with! I used a few items I had on hand like vegan cheddar cheese, diced avocado, vegan sour cream, and green onion. However, feel free to customize however you’d like! In the recipe below I’ve shared a few optional garnishes. You can use all of them or none at all, it’s completely up to you! In addition, I paired this chili with cornbread but it would be great with white rice as well.
I know you’ll love this recipe! It doesn’t require any fancy tools or kitchen gadgets and it’s so easy to make and customize! Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
This post was sponsored by the wonderful people over at Alpha Foods! You can find a variety of Alpha products near you, here and a number of drool worthy ready-made meals you can pick-up if you’re on-the-go! Thank you for supporting the brands that support me!
Beefy Vegan Chili
- 1 bag Alpha Foods Beefy Crumble
- 2 cans chili beans rinsed and drained
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- ½ red onion diced
- 2 14.5 oz. cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth (more or less depending on how soupy you prefer. I used 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1 green pepper diced (about 2 cups)
- ¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil optional- could also sub for water
- black pepper to taste
- sliced jalapenos
- vegan sour cream
- vegan cheddar cheese
- diced avocado
- fresh cilantro
- fresh green onion
- In a large pot over low-medium heat, add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil (or use water to saute). Once heated, add the diced red onions and minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Saute until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- Add in all other ingredients and stir to combine. Increase temperature to bring to a low boil.
- Cover the pot with a lid and let simmer over low heat for at least 45 minutes or longer if desired.
- Plate and pair with rice or cornbread. Enjoy!