Y’all Thanksgiving is right around the corner! Lately the only thing I’ve been able to think about is what I’m going to make. Every year, I’m committing to levelin’ up! What better way to level up than with these Easy Whipped Sweet Potatoes?
I know what you’re thinking… what about candied yams? Truth be told, this was a tough switch up for me. Honestly, I don’t know if I’ve ever had a Thanksgiving without candied yams (outside of this one time I decided to travel to Hong Kong over the holiday). But I think it’s time to try something different. I had whipped sweet potatoes a few years back at some swanky restaurant. I can’t remember where I was, but I do remember making a mental note that I would recreate them one day. I’m so glad the day finally came!
Preparing These Easy Whipped Sweet Potatoes
Making these Whipped Sweet Potatoes was soooo simple! Prior to my instant pressure cooker days, I would have had to cook the sweet potatoes in the oven for the best results. Microwaved sweet potatoes have always been a last resort for me. Cooking the sweet potatoes in my instant pressure cooker was a huge lifesaver! Normally, I would stick the sweet potatoes inside whole (being lazy), but cutting them into fourths helps to speed up the process.
I used one of the racks that came with the instant pressure cooker to keep the sweet potatoes from touching the bottom of the cooker. In addition, I added about two cups of water just to make sure there would be enough steam action to cook the sweet potatoes properly. I then set the pressure cooker to high (using the manual setting), then let it cook for 22 minutes. A load of laundry and a few washed dishes later, they were done! I’m impatient, so I manually released the pressure. Next, I transferred the sweet potatoes to my mixing bowl.
This part can get a little HOT! I would advise letting the sweet potatoes cool a bit before handling them. However, I was in a bit of a rush so I dealt with the repercussions. To make this process run smoother, I would advise measuring out all of the ingredients ahead of time. This way, all you have to do is dump everything in the mixing bowl at once. Because the sweet potatoes are so well cooked, the “whipping” part won’t take long at all. Just a few minutes of fluffing and you’re ready to share this delicious side with your friends and family (or not 🙂 ).
I like my sweet potatoes to be seasoned in the most basic way. Which makes these perfect for customizing! Spruce them up however you’d like, or enjoy them as is! Try them out and let me know what you think of them in the comments below!
What to Pair with these Vegan Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Spicy Chicken Fried Cauliflower
- Easy Vegan Jalapeño Cornbread
- Easy Crispy Baked Breaded Tofu
- Black-Eyed Pea Fritters
- Easy Vegan Collard Greens
- Easy Baked Vegan Mac and Cheese
Easy Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- 4 medium/large sweet potatoes cut into fourths for faster cooking
- ½ cup plant milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 pinch ground clove
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- Place your sweet potatoes on a rack inside of your instant pressure cooker along with two cups of water. Use the manual setting and place on high. Let cook for 22 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, begin prepping the remaining ingredients, by placing them in the mixing bowl you intend to use for whipping the sweet potatoes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done cooking let them cool before removing the skins. Transfer each of them to the mixing bowl along with the rest of your ingredients.
- Using an electric whipping tool (similar to a whisk) begin whipping all of the ingredients together.
- Garnish with additional vegan butter, walnuts, and cinnamon (optional). Enjoy!