Every time I open a can of chickpeas, I feel like I’m being given a blank slate. And a “two for one special” because well, aquafaba (click here if you’re not sure what aquafaba is). Chickpeas are super versatile and I love how they can be added to so many amazing meals…Like this Chickpea Peanut Stew! It’s got great flavor and the dish itself can be eaten different ways.
Chickpea Peanut Stew Lettuce Wraps:
The first time I made this Chickpea Peanut Stew, I wanted to try something a little different. This type of meal is usually paired with rice, but I wondered how it might taste wrapped in lettuce. Y’all it was delish! I ate every last bit! If you’re watching your carb intake, this might be a good option for you. I sprinkled it with a little parsley and voila!
Chickpea Peanut Stew with Rice
The second round of Chickpea Peanut Stew was plated a little more traditionally. I went in a different direction and paired it with rice, but this time I added spinach to the mix! I’m always trying to get in my veggies where I can, so the spinach seemed like an appropriate addition. To top it off, I added crushed peanuts and a little parsley. Another tasty way to enjoy this flavorful meal!
I’ll admit, I was a little hesitant to test this out because I’m kinda weird about peanut butter. I like it, but not in excess. For instance, I’ve never liked peanut butter cookies or cakes. However, I do love apples dipped in a nice peanut butter and agave mix! I also enjoy peanut butter cups (i.e. reese’s– vegan ones). I worried that this would be too much peanut butter. Well the peanut flavor is definitely still there, but the addition of the spices makes this the perfect savory meal!
I think this Chickpea Peanut Stew would be great for new vegans/plant-based eaters. I made some for my dad (hardcore carnivore) and he loved it! It’s easy to put together and there’s enough to take to work the next day!
Interested in trying this dish? I think you’d love it! Give it a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Hungry for more? Follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!
Chickpea Peanut Stew
- 2 cans chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 4-5 cups of fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or water if oil-free)
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup peanut butter (softened)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion (diced)
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish optional
- crushed peanuts for garnish optional
- Begin by adding oil or water to a large pan along with minced garlic and diced onions. Saute over medium heat until garlic is fragrant and onions are translucent.
- Once the onions and garlic are cooked, add in all of the remaining sauce ingredients and stir until combined.
- Add in rinsed and drained chickpeas and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened and mixture is finished cooking, begin stirring in the fresh spinach until the leaves have wilted.
- Serve over rice or lettuce wraps. Enjoy!
Such a flavorful, healthy, and fun weeknight recipe. I needed something to cook for dinner and then this recipe came across my Facebook feed. I had all the ingredients, whipped it up in no time and enjoyed a delicious meal. Thank you!
Laurie, thanks so much for your feedback. Glad you found this recipe just in time! 🙂
Yes! This recipe is amazing! I made it over the weekend for my non vegan husband and picky toddler. Not only did they love it, but my husband insisted I make a more the following day.
Andrellica, so happy to hear that the fam enjoyed it! 🙂