This Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Curry recipe is one I know you’ll love! Roasted sweet potatoes covered in a simple to make curry sauce using Jamaican curry powder (and no coconut milk) and topped with fresh chives for garnish. Pair it with rice for the perfect dinner option for any day of the week!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Curry:
- fresh sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- vegan butter
- minced garlic
- fresh red onion
- fresh green pepper
- Jamaican curry powder
- garlic powder
- ground ginger
- dried thyme
- unsweetened almond milk
- vegetable broth
- fresh chives
How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Curry
You wouldn’t believe how easy it is to make this vegan sweet potato curry! You’ll want to start by first rounding up all of your ingredients. There’s nothing worse than getting half way through a recipe only to realize that you’re missing an ingredient.
Once all of your ingredients have been gathered, dice your sweet potatoes and prepare them to go in the oven. Wondering if the sweet potatoes need to be peeled? It’s totally up to you! I like to leave them on, as you don’t notice them in the final dish.
It’s important not to cut your sweet potatoes too big, or they will take longer to cook. Half inch pieces will be ready in about 25 minutes. Transfer the diced sweet potatoes to a baking sheet and drizzle with oiI, then season with salt and pepper for a little flavor. Transfer them to the oven and allow them to bake for 20-25 minutes.
While the sweet potatoes are baking, you’ll start preparing the curry. Like most curries, you’ll start with a little minced garlic and onion. Sauté this in a medium pan over low medium heat with vegan butter until the onions are translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
Once those have been sautéed, add in the green bell peppers and saute until they have softened a bit. At this point you’re ready to add the seasonings- Jamaican curry powder, garlic powder, ground ginger and thyme. Stir until combined. Next, add the unsweetened almond milk, vegetable broth and the cornstarch + water mixture.
Continue stirring all of the ingredients together until they are well combined. Increase the temperature in order to bring the mixture to a low boil, then let it simmer for a bit. You’ll notice that the mixture will start to thicken. By the time you’re done with the sauce, the sweet potatoes should be almost ready.
Once the sweet potatoes are finished baking, remove them from the oven and carefully transfer them to the pan with the curry sauce. Stir the sweet potato curry until all of the potatoes are covered and garnish with chives. Enjoy!
Can I Use Coconut Milk Instead of Almond?
This sweet potato curry recipe is made without using coconut milk, but if you’d like to use it go right ahead! Alternatively you can use soy milk as a substitute if need be.
I know you’ll love this easy vegan Sweet Potato Curry! It’s savory, filling and flavorful. It’s definitely one of those meals that you’ll look forward to eating the next day for lunch, and possibly again for dinner that night. So what are you waiting for? Get in the kitchen and give this recipe a try. Let me know how it goes in the comments below!
Other Curry Recipes You’ll Love:
- Chickpea Curry
- Lentil and Spinach Curry
- Cauliflower Curry
- Easy Thai Red Curry Pasta
- Jackfruit Curry
- Easy Vegan Potato Curry
Tools You Might Need:
This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Curry [+VIDEO]
- 2 medium sweet potatoes diced into ½ inch pieces
- olive oil for drizzling sweet potatoes with desired amount
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 whole green pepper diced
- 1½ tbsp Jamaican curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4-6 dashes of ground ginger
- 2 pinches dried thyme
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water to thicken
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- chives for garnish; to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°
- On a baking pan, assemble your diced sweet potatoes to create one layer. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix the potatoes around on the pan to evenly coat them.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until browned. Rotate 2-3 times for even browning.
- While the potatoes are cooking, begin putting together the curry by sautéing the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes over a low-medium heat with the vegan butter
- Once the garlic is fragrant, add in the chopped green peppers and cook until softened.
- Add in the curry powder, garlic powder, ground ginger, thyme and stir.
- Next, add in the vegetable stock, unsweetened almond milk and cornstarch+water mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low heat and let simmer until thickened. Stir consistently.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done cooking, remove them from the oven and add them to the curry mixture. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with fresh chives and serve with rice. Enjoy!