I have a confession… I’m obsessed with curry (especially this easy potato curry version)! It’s one of my favorite things to make and I love how versatile it is! On this particular day I was in the mood for a simple, but tasty meal (as always) that didn’t require a ton of effort.
Oh, and there had to be enough for leftovers to take to lunch the next day! That’s when I decided to whip up this easy potato curry. It’s so creamy, you could eat it alone or pair it with rice!
Tips for Making this Easy Potato Curry
In addition to the potatoes, I had to add in some additional veggies. Peas and carrots seemed like the perfect fit.
I opted for fresh carrots and frozen peas, but you could totally sub for a bag of frozen peas and carrots to help you save even more time. I already had carrots on hand, so I decided to go ahead and use them.
When dicing up your veggies, it’s important to make sure that they aren’t too big. Especially the potatoes. The larger you cut them, the more time it will take for them to cook.
I snagged a bag of Dutch Yellow Baby Potatoes from Trader Joe’s, so they were already pretty small to begin with. I chopped them into four pieces, sometimes six if they were a bit larger. I’d say each piece was about an inch wide.
As for the carrots, it’s important to keep these pretty small, about the size of a pea. The thicker they are, the longer they will take to cook. You don’t want to risk over-cooking everything else waiting for the carrots to cook through. They should be cooked through in about 10 minutes.
The cool thing about this Easy Potato Curry is that the “curry” is made with just a few ingredients. Many of them you probably already have on hand! If by chance you don’t, you could definitely find the ingredients you need at most any grocery store.
I try to keep my recipes as accessible as possible, which means no hard to find ingredients! There’s nothing worse than wanting to cook a meal you see online, but you can’t find all of the ingredients you need! I hate that and I know you probably do too!
My favorite part about this Easy Potato Curry is how creamy the curry turned out. It’s so good! In addition, I like having the option to eat it with or without rice.
The addition of cilantro is also something you can add based on your own preferences. I love cilantro, so I added about 2 tablespoons. If you’re not a fan, use it for garnish instead (or not at all).
Hungry yet? Get in that kitchen and start whipping up this easy potato curry! Try it out and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Other Curry Recipes You’ll Enjoy:
Tools You Might Need:
This recipe and images were updated on 3/5/2020.
This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Potato Curry
- 1 tbsp oil of choice I used olive oil- can also sub for water to saute
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ½ large white onion diced
- 1 15.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5oz can full fat coconut milk
- 12 oz. diced yellow potatoes (roughly 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp garam marsala
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt to taste (I added about ½ tsp)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 large carrot diced
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro roughly chopped
- In a large saute pan, saute minced garlic and diced onions with oil or water.
- Once onions and garlic have become fragrant, add potatoes, coconut milk and fire roasted tomatoes. Stir to combine.
- Add curry powder, garam marsala, cayenne pepper and salt then bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and stir frequently and allow to thicken for about 20 minutes (or until potatoes are fork tender).
- Add in diced carrots and frozen peas. Continue to let simmer for about 10 minutes or until carrots are cooked.
- Stir in fresh cilantro.
- Remove from heat and pair with rice. Garnish with additional cilantro. Enjoy!