I’ve been looking for a reason to wrap something in a big ol’ collard leaf and I finally found it! Re-fried beans are one of my favorite meals and I’m always looking for new ways to enjoy them. Paired with Mexican rice? Match made in heaven! In addition, swapping the tortilla for the collard leaf made me feel super healthy. WIN!
This meal is pretty easy to put together. The Mexican rice practically cooks itself! You toss everything in a pan, let it boil, simmer, then voila! The rice is done. It’s also totally customizable. You could jazz it up by adding peppers, onions, or even your favorite vegan cheese! As always, my favorite part is that the ingredients are so simple.The re-fried beans require a bit more effort, but it’s worth it. If you’re idea of fun is smashing beans, this one’s for you! These beans are so flavorful, you could totally eat them alone!
So what are you waiting for? Give this Mexican rice and re fried beans recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
Re-fried Beans+ Mexican Rice Burrito
- 1/2 cup roasted corn (optional)
- tortillas or collards for serving
- Add all ingredients (except cilantro) to a large sauce pan, cover, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and leave covered. Stir occasionally.
- Once all liquid has evaporated, fluff with a fork, stir in cilantro, and remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a large pan add a tbsp. of olive oil and allow to heat for a few moments. Once the pan has been heated, add the diced green peppers, onions, minced garlic and jalapenos. Sauté for about 3 minutes on medium low heat.
- Add in the red beans along with all seasonings and mix well. Once heated through, mash with a potato masher until whole beans are no longer visible.
- Remove heat and set aside.
- Begin building your burrito with your favorite toppings, re-fried beans, and rice. Enjoy!