If you’ve been waiting for a recipe to add some spice to your vegan breakfast life, THIS IS IT!
The inspiration for this dish came from one of those random cooking videos that you see while scrolling through your Facebook feed. 99.8% of the time these videos aren’t vegan friendly and this one was no exception, but I watched anyways to see if there was something worth veganizing. What could be better than breakfast taquitos?
What I love about this recipe is that it’s so simple and customizable! All it is is tofu scramble+veggies, Beyond Meat Sausage, and cheese all wrapped up into tasty tortilla, garnished with cilantro and dipped in your favorite salsa. It might seem like a lot, but trust me folks, it’s totally worth it (plus, it’s easier than it sounds).
If you’re like me, you’re probably wondering how the Beyond Meat sausage was… I’ll actually be doing a detailed review on them soon, but I will say it was the perfect addition to this meal. They were super easy to work with and the “sweet italian” flavor was a tasty compliment to the tofu scramble. Not a fan of Beyond Meat, or can’t seem to find them (I hear they’ve been selling out pretty consistently)? Any veggie sausage will do. I also used Chao cheese which made for a great addition as well. If you’re having some sort of brunch/breakfast get-together, I’d totally recommend this dish. Your guests won’t know what hit em’! I’d bet that half of them wouldn’t even realize they were eating tofu and mock meat. Victory can be yours!!
Wanna know my favorite part about these breakfast taquitos? They taste great the next morning! Of course, the tortillas are no longer as crispy as they were the first day, but they’re not soggy either which is something I was a bit nervous about. Not to mention, they’re quite filling. I know this because I ate three for breakfast the following day and managed to get through my morning without yearning for a snack.
Interested in giving these a try? Let me know how they turn out in the comments below!
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1-2 handfuls of spinach to taste
- 1 Beyond Meat sausage minced (I used sweet italian) or sub of your choice
- "cheese" to taste (of your choice)
- 8 small tortillas (I used a corn and wheat blend)
- tofu scramble
- cilantro for garnish
- salsa for dipping
- Preheat oven to 425. Begin by adding your diced red onions, red peppers, and green onions to an oiled pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes over a medium heat.
- Add minced sausage and cook for 2-3 more minutes ur until sausage is lightly browned.
- Add in tofu and additional seasoning to make tofu scramble (recipe here), then stir in spinach and cook until wilted.
- Begin forming your taquitos by adding small portions of the breakfast mix and "cheese" to each tortilla, roll, then place on a pan with the seams down. Lightly spray with olive oil (optional) and place in the oven for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Once done, remove from the oven and transfer to serving dish (so that they aren't still cooking on the hot pan), garnish with cilantro and enjoy with salsa!