Y’all, I didn’t think my love for tacos could grow anymore, but here we are. I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH THIS DISH! I made this and after the first bite I knew I had to share it with y’all. Oh, and it’s #PickyAssHusbandApproved! This Easy Vegan Taco Casserole is your new favorite way to enjoy tacos. Thank me later!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make a Vegan Taco Casserole
- Red Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Vegan Ground Beef
- Taco Seasoning
- Green Bell Pepper
- Red Bell Pepper
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Canned Corn
- Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- Canned Black Beans
- Corn Tortillas
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese
- Fresh Cilantro
- Your Favorite Taco Toppings
How to Make Vegan Taco Casserole
Making this Vegan Taco Casserole is sooooo EASY! To start, you’ll want to add your diced onions and minced garlic to a pan and sauté them over medium heat with oil or water if necessary. Season them with salt and pepper to taste and continue to stir until fragrant.
Once the onion and garlic have become fragrant, add in the vegan grounds. You’re welcome to use whatever grounds you enjoy most. For this recipe I decided to use the new Impossible meat. It’s a little less than 1 pound, but it still works for this recipe. Season the mixture with a taco seasoning of your choice. You can use a store-bought taco seasoning or you can make your own like me! Whichever you choose, mix it in and prepare to add the rest of your ingredients.
Now that the base of the mixture is done, add in the bell peppers, pickled jalapeños, corn, fire roasted tomatoes and black beans. Stir these ingredients in and season with a little more salt and pepper to taste. If you want to kick things up a notch, you can also sprinkle in some cayenne pepper.
Cook the mixture for another 2-3 minutes until everything has been warmed through. Next, grab a large rectangular baking dish (like a 9×13) and spoon a small amount of the mixture along the bottom of the pan. This will keep the tortillas from sticking. Just as you would with a lasagna dish, we’re going to use your halved tortillas as sheets of lasagna.
Arrange 8 tortilla halves slightly overlapping each other across the bottom of the pan, then layer with ⅓ of the prepared filling and a generous amount of vegan cheese. Repeat until you’ve created three layers. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and transfer it to the oven for 25 minutes or until the dish is warmed through.
Once your vegan taco casserole is finished cooking, garnish with cilantro and any of your favorite taco toppings like vegan sour cream, guacamole, sliced avocado, or salsa. Enjoy!
Do I Have to Use the Vegan Ground?
Nope! I think it tastes great with vegan ground, but if you’d rather not use it you can add more black beans or even lentils. This vegan taco casserole is a winner either way!
Alternatively, you could use vegan chicken instead of the ground so you can make it a vegan chicken taco casserole if you want. The choice is yours!
Can I Add Rice to This Vegan Taco Casserole?
Don’t see why not! If you’d like to add rice, I’d suggest my Easy Vegan Cilantro Lime Rice. It’s amazing! Add it into your black bean and vegan beef mixture or use it as an additional layer during your layering process.
I know you’ll love this Vegan Taco Casserole! It’s really easy to make and it’s perfect for feeding a crowd! Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below!
More Taco Recipes You’ll Love:
- Jerk Jackfruit Tacos
- Crispy Air Fried Vegan Chicken Tacos
- Jackfruit Carnitas Tacos
- Lentil Tacos
- Portobello Fajitas
Easy Vegan Taco Casserole
- ½ cup red onion diced
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb vegan ground
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- ½ green bell pepper diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños roughly chopped
- 1 can corn
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes slightly drained
- 1 can black beans drained, not rinsed
- 12 small corn tortillas cut in half
- 2 cups vegan cheddar cheese
- fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
- your favorite taco toppings (avocado, salsa, vegan sour cream, corn chips…etc.)
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a large pan, sauté your diced onions and minced garlic over medium heat until fragrant (with oil or water if necessary). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the vegan ground and stir to combine with the garlic and onions. Season the mixture with taco seasoning and continue stirring.
- Add the bell peppers, pickled jalapeños, corn, fire roasted tomatoes and black beans. Stir to combine for another 2-3 minutes.
- In a large rectangular baking dish, spoon a small amount of the filling over the bottom.
- Top with a layer of tortillas, ⅓ of the prepared filling and vegan cheddar cheese. Continue layering until all filling has been used to create 3 layers.
- Cover the dish with foil and transfer to the oven to bake for 25 minutes or until the dish has warmed through.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh cilantro and additional toppings of your choice (avocado, salsa, vegan sour cream…etc.). Enjoy!