A few weeks ago I purchased some fake chicken from Trader Joe’s. They recently started carrying these grilled chicken strips from Lightlife, and I gotta say… they’re pretty good! The fajitas were tasty as ever and I knew I wanted to share them with you all!
Lately I’ve been trying to be more conscious of the recipes I share on this blog. Throughout the past year and a half of blogging I’ve realized two things:
- Not everyone likes/eats meat subs
- Not everyone has access to certain meat subs
So because of this, I’ve been trying to reduce the number of recipes that include meat subs. That’s where these portobello fajitas come in! Everyone has access to mushrooms, right? Now I’ll be honest, I’ve never been a huge mushroom person. However, as I’ve said a million times– going plant-based or vegan will encourage you to revisit foods you may not have eaten regularly before. Mushrooms were definitely on my list.
I’m happy to report, that these portobello fajitas were a winner, y’all! My husband even enjoyed them (a lot). The best part is the lovely smell they give off while cooking. OMG. The liquid smoke, the veggies, the seasoning… my goodness. You’ll be hungry for sure! For my tortillas, I went with a corn+tortilla blend from Trader Joe’s, but you can totally use whatever you prefer.
There was no way I could make this meal without a side of guacamole. I always add jalapenos, tomato, and red onion with a bit of salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and onion powder. One of these days I’ll stop eye-balling everything and measure the ingredients out so I can share it with y’all (recipe here!)!
Top them with whatever you’d like and enjoy! Hungry yet? Get in the kitchen and start cooking these up! Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Hungry for more? Follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook!
This post was updated on 9/12/19
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 large portobello mushrooms
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- taco seasoning of your choice to taste (I used about 1/2 tbsp)
- 8 small tortillas
- Heat oil on pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the peppers, onions, and mushrooms to the pan (it should sizzle… A LOT).
- Add in the liquid smoke and taco seasoning. Stir consistently (you’ll want to remain at the stove until cooked through).
- Once veggies are visibly charred and cooked through to your liking, remove them from the eye or turn to low heat.
- In another pan, heat your tortillas over medium heat.
- Top your tortillas with a generous serving of the fajita mix and enjoy!
Pingback: Easy Taco Seasoning Blend |